Chapter 19

"I'm afraid there has been an accident involving your mother"the officer announced, my heart sunk."An accident? What sort of accident" I stammered."Your mother was involved in a road traffic accident in the city of New York, she has been rushed to a nearby hospital and is in a stable but critical condition" he announced, tears welled up in my eyes. I wanted nothing more than to be beside mum's side I imagined her being scared and in pain. "Is she going to be okay?" I asked."She's in good hands sweetheart that's all that I can tell you at this point. Is there anybody we can contact so you're not alone?" He inquired with empathy in his voice. "My Dad is at work and my brother is out with his girlfriend, I'll phone them both. Thank you for your concern" I smiled, I really didn't know how I was going to be able to put into words what had happened.

I couldn't get through to my dad so I sent him a text message instead, I managed to get hold of Will. He and Rose came straight home. When dad finally came home at 8pm was when we could decide what we were going to do next."Tilly I'm sorry but you've got no other choice, your education is far more important"dad fumed, I wanted to cry he always thought that he knew best, but he was always wrong. "What do you expect me to do, mum needs me and I won't be able to concentrate properly knowing that's she is fighting for her life thousands of miles away!" I shouted, my eyes filled with tears. Dad wanted me to stay home while he and Will went out to America to be with mum, even though she and Dad were divorced he still cared about her. "Mrs Wood has agreed to come and cook your meals and make sure you're okay, we would only be gone for a week or 2 at the most" he sighed, I could see that he was starting to loose his temper with me."Why do you always think you know what's best for me! You're making my life more and more difficult each time you open your mouth!" I shouted, I ran off up to my room slamming the door shut behind me.

Here was where I let the emotion leave my body, I pulled out my keepsake box and slipped out my old sleep teddy that mum bought at the age of 4. I sat on my bed and held it tightly, there was a quiet knock on my bedroom door shortly after."Can I come in" I heard Will say softly."Yeah" I said just loud enough for him to hear. He walked in and sat beside me, he put his arm around me supportively, I laid my head on his shoulder."Everything's going to be okay you know Tilly, Dad's only trying to look out for you. Mum would agree with what he's said. I'd much prefer you stayed here too" he said."He never seems to allow me to make my own decisions, I don't know how I'm going to cope on my own" I was worried what would happen when Will and Dad went. "How about you ask a friend to come and stay with you, I'm sure Dad would be okay with that and Mrs Wood will be on hand just in case' Will smiled. That wasn't such a bad idea I wouldn't mind being with a friend, Mrs Wood is very nice it's just a friend would make me feel at ease. "Yeah that sounds like a brilliant idea, thanks Will" I smiled, I lifted my head off of his shoulder and gave him a side hug.

The next morning my Dad announced that he and Will would be leaving later that evening, I phoned Andrew and asked him to come over, he came over straight away and made himself right at home. Once Dad and Will left myself and Andrew ordered a pizza, we decided to have a pizza/film party."Do we really have to suffer this?" Andrew asked as the opening music of Frozen blared through the speakers."Oh Andrew why do you have to moan, you've never seen Frozen so how do you know you're going to be suffering?" I laughed. "I can just tell it will make me feel quite cold" he smirked, I shook my head and smiled. "Ha ha very funny, that deserves nothing more than a thumbnail applause!" I beamed as I clapped both of my thumbs together. "Shh it's starting" he said in mock excitement. I slapped his arm playfully. Once we had finished the pizza and the first film we decided to put on another film, it was Andrew's choice this time."What are you going to bore me with now" I sighed, laughing afterwards so he knew I was joking. "Close your eyes and ears it's a surprise" he announced with a huge grin on his face, I did as I was told.

Andrew looked pleased with himself when my eyes filled with delight he chose our home video complication DVD, it contained everything from pictures of myself and Will when we were babies and many different videos of us growing up. "Aw look at little Matilda smiling" Andrew beamed in an annoying child's voice. As a picture of me standing in the kitchen on my first day of school holding onto a Barney The Dinosaur plastic lunch box filled the screen. "I was happy is all" I laughed, trying to picture the memory of my first day at school, failing miserably I shook the thought and carried on watching the slide show of various pictures and videos. Once that was over I chose a another film to watch."Tonight has been really good you know"Andrew smiled."I agree it has been fun, thanks for sharing my first night home alone" I beamed. "My pleasure" he looked into my eyes and smiled, my eyes also met his I felt my head move closer to his, as our lips touched the whole would stopped. The softness of his light pink lips made me feel safe in that moment, I didn't want it to end.

"Tilly I'm so sorry" he pulled away quickly. "Andrew it's fine I liked it" I said shyly, the truth was I did I loved it. Nothing like that had ever come into my mind before seeing as we were just good friends but the naturalness of it all felt real. "You did?" He inquired with a sheer look of astonishment in his eyes.I nodded, with that we decided to call it a night Will said that Andrew was welcome to stay in his room, I made sure he was okay then made my way into my room.I checked to see if there was any more news in mum, there was no change. I got into bed in an attempt to fall asleep.