Chapter One: Late

"So, what do you want me to do?" Mr. Kern stood, arms crossed, face stern. His deep brown eyes scanned me for any sign of weakness within my soul. He was a hound dog, sensing fear in me just as he would on all of his prey. He asked a question. Was he expecting an answer? He kept staring at me with those dagger tipped eyes, stabbing me from a full two feet away.

"N... Nothing... I'll... uh... I'll get it done." Oh darn, for as talented as I was, I am still unable to turn in my homework on time and be able to say something other than I'll get it done.

"You'd better. As it looks, your grades can't afford for you to miss another assignment this semester." he reminded me. Little did he know that I could technically miss up to three more work ethic assignments before I submerged below eighty seven point five percent, the minimum grade to pass. By, no means was I stupid. Actually, my test scores are the best in the class, but I struggle with homework, a lot. It's not that I mean to do it, but I have a serious ADHD problem and it causes me to forget some of the most basic of things (like homework).

"Alrighty sir. I won't let you down!" and I turned out of his classroom before he could say something else and make me later than I already was. Do all teachers know that when they keep them after class, not only are they torturing us while talking but also when we have other obligations to attend to?

I swerve around people, trying to manage my way to my locker and not attract any attention to myself. I already had a bad reputation, but if anyone found out that I forgot another assignment, it would just be a repeat of seventh grade. I was not going back to being humiliated for a whole semester. These thoughts are going to kill me I joked to myself. I'm such a worrier. I really shouldn't. I'm tall, muscular (at least in the legs), smart, heck, I'm even athletic, well dressed, and morally straight: I have no idea why I'm worrying like I am.  

I stopped thinking about that; it could've meant another anxiety attack that day. I tried to focus on other things but nothing seemed to be working for me. I arrived at my locker, baffled by what the heck I should be thinking about! Nonetheless, I opened my empty locker and unzipped my backpack to reveal my three textbooks, a few composition notebooks, a few untouched books (that I wasn't planning on reading anytime soon), and, my prized possession, my comic book collection. If there was anything that could occupy a geek's time, especially if that geek was me, it was comic books. I usually kept about twenty to twenty five comics with me at all times to ensure I was never bored. They also provided a good way to escape whatever was going on and seep into the mystical world where good always triumphed and people like me were always the heroes. It was just what I wanted; a fantasy, but I dreamed that it would one day come true....

And, one day, it did.