Chapter Eighteen: This Book Worm Will Kill You if You Step on Her Side

I was finally able to use my scenes. They had taken me out of that pit for some reason, only to have me transported by a crowd of guards and a syringe up my neck. I didn't think I should use my powers; they could've rigged my brain with explosives if I tried to go too fast.

Wait. Think rationally. Don't panic. As we moved from corridor to corridor, I lost track of where we were. Three lefts, a right, another left, or was that another right? Will I ever remember simple things like this? Eventually we turned to a door and the group of guides parted from around me, allowing me to enter the room. I asked to have the needle be taken out of my neck, which they obliged to, and I entered the room. I mean closet; they led me all this way just to enter a closet.

"Hey. Excuse me." A voice pipped up from below. I turned my head down to see someone sitting on the floor, reading. She had short brown hair with glasses, that blocked me from seeing her eye color. Her teeth were crooked, very crooked.

She noticed I was looking at her teeth and quickly sealed her lips, hiding them. A stack of books was to her right and a bowl of jello to her left. It appeared like she wired a TV to play a slideshow of some famous blond actor (currently he was in a uniform that made him look like someone wrapped him in the American Flag. Maybe he was supposed to be a Captain of some sort?). There was a sign on the wall that said "Closet Sweet Closet" (What?). As I was looking at the sign, I noticed a tug at my leg. I glanced down to see her draw a line across the closet with a red crayon, and then scooted me over to one side. "You stay on your side. I stay on mine. Any violations will end in your death." She warned.

"Wait." I held my hands up. "So, even if you cross the line, I die?"

"Yes." She didn't even look up from her book. "Now let me be."

I sat down, unable to do anything else. My head rested on the back wall, and my feet planted into the ground to support my weight. I thought of everything that was going on. My heart started to beat faster. I was being held captive by the same group of people I beat the tar out of at the compound, clearly I'm going to be killed. I transitioned my thoughts, I can't get too worried, but there was nothing else to think about, so I made a move; a stupid move.

"So... uh... what's your name?"

"Maddie."

There was an awkward silence, so I continued the conversation. "Is that short for Madeline?"

She looked up from her book, setting it aside, "Call me Madeline and I will shank you."

I knew she wouldn't; at least, I thought I knew. It was sort of funny to see her mad at her own name. She asked me, relaxing the grim face, "What do I call you?"

"I've been called everything. It doesn't matter."

"Really? So, you've been called Beef Steak?"

"Um.... No. My real name is Duncan." I said, trying to shake the image of me with a name tag that said "Beef Steak" out of my head. The quiet continued; this trumped all other awkward moments ever. I felt that my head might explode from all of this awkwardness.

"So, Duncan, why're you here?"

"Um... I tried to stop a bully, and the bully won."

"Ah, Klay is a tough guy."

"You're a captive of his too?"

"I'm not dead, so yes."

"Okay?" I shuffled toward the corner.

"Don't say that." She spun her head my direction. "In here, it's 'otay'"

Alrighty, I'd had enough of that. I asked her, giving all the compassion I could, "What makes you in charge of me?"

"Because I drew the line, I decorated the place, I made the other rules. You cannot say 'okay'."

"Otay." I said in a mocking voice, laying my head back once again.

"Yay!" She said, clapping her hands together.

As we continued our banter, we learned a lot from each other. Actually, she learned a lot about me and she ranted on about how she had a crush on some blond lifeguard. It was so odd that we were having a normal conversation (semi-normal) in a cell. We had many things in common, from what I had gathered. We enjoyed similar music, read similar books, it was so weird. It was like I met my twin. When the conversation became serious, we also found we struggled wit the same things. It was odd to have a mental doppelganger.

"So, Madeline." I sparked up a conversation after she started, and finished, reading a book. "Why does Klay want you in here?"

She was obviously disturbed by this "I... I can do things.... things other people can't."

With that, a book started to rise from the stack, into the air.

"Telekinesis?"

"Sort of, I create resistance between molecules, like a force field, that I can control. I can also make a larger force field around objects. I just use magnetism to force objects to move."

"So, Amplified Gravitational Manipulation."

Sh didn't understand what I was saying, "I don't speak Portuguese."

"You can bend gravity to your will on a vast level."

She understood that better and then asked, "What can you do?"

"I have super speed."

Then, for some reason, she beat the tar out of me, crossing the line.

----------------

I lived, unknowing why I deserved a black eye. The room was dark, meaning we had to sleep. I couldn't even close my eyes without fearing not getting out of that darkness again. I needed to focus on something else. Of course, as odd as it was, the only thing I could hear was Madeline snoring.

So, I listened to her breathing in her sleep. This was going to be a long night.