Chapter 25

"Amy, take a breath. Just breathe."
"But what if something else goes wrong? The florist already delivered the wrong flowers--"
"And they still match the decorations."
"The musicians who were supposed to play for the processional are late-"
"But they'll still make it on time, and they were here for the rehearsal two days ago."
"But what if something big happens?"
"Like what?"
"Like... What if... What if George..."
You turn Amy to face you, stopping her from fidgeting with her wedding dress, and looking her straight in the eyes,
"You know George."
"Yeah, I do." She huffs, her tone betraying her fear,
"No. You know how crazy he is about you. You know that even if he's nervous, it's not about whether this is the right thing to do. You know he would do absolutely anything for you. And we all know he can't wait to be married to you."
.
.
.
"Do you think Amy's okay?" George asks Seb, straightening his cuffs again. He tugs at his collar,  clearly uncomfortable.
"I'm sure Amy's fine," Seb assures him, stopping his squirming and fixing his collar, "why are you so freaked, though?"
George sighs, raking a hand through his hair then smoothing it back out again. He digs his hands into his pockets, looking toward the arch where in just about an hour, he is going to make the biggest commitment of his life.
"What if--"
"'What if's are a killer, man." Sebastian whistles,
"I just... What if she changes her mind?" He asks, his voice small,
"About what?"
"About me. What if she wakes up one day and decides we aren't right for each other after all? What if we get married and it isn't what she thought it would be?" He sighs, "What if she decides she doesn't want me after all?"
Seb sees the genuine worry in George's eyes and claps him on the shoulder,
"You would go to hell and back, barefoot, uphill both ways for her."
George chuckles, "Do you see that changing any time soon?"
"Never."
"Exactly. So you show her. Every day. You remind her that she is everything to you and always will be. Any way you can think of, from a random 'I love you' after a long day, to an elaborate date night. Never give her the chance to wonder if you still love her."
George is quiet for a while,
"You're quoting your own proposal aren't you?" He jokes,
"I may have sampled it." Seb shrugs with a smirk.
Before anything else can be said, the wedding coordinator interrupts, insisting the men take their places.
.
.
.
While the day seemed to be threatening rain with heavy, dark clouds hanging over the gardens, the weather seemed to be cooperating for the time being.
You pause, just for a moment to take in all the decoration. The lanterns in the trees, the contrast of the green grass and the ivy draped across the backs of the bright white chairs, the aisle leading up to an archway which was surrounded and covered with the beginnings of the summer blooms. Everything was perfect.
"It's time." You tell Amy when you get the signal. The men are in place, the ladies are up next, "Time to go for a walk."
While Amy still looks a little shaken up, still expecting the worst to happen, she heaves a deep breath and nods. You lead her to her starting  point where, after a few calming breaths, you all hear the processional music begin.
You stick with Amy as long as you can, offering a smile, a pat on the shoulder.
The flower girl walks down the aisle. You assure Amy that she looks beautiful, that George won't know what hit him.
Kayla, Amy's bridesmaid, starts down the aisle.
You take your best friend's hand, giving it one last squeeze, before the coordinator gives you your cue and nudges you forward.
You try to walk casually, calmly, smiling at George or friends that you see seated around you, doing your best not to betray the sympathetic butterflies you feel for Amy.
Then you see him. Third in line. Behind George's brother. Always handsome in a suit. Smiling softly at you. It's not your wedding day, all eyes should be on the bride, but here you see Seb looking at you like you're the only one there.
Your heart pounds, cheeks flushing at the thought of taking Amy's place. For a split second, you're the one in white, joining Seb under the arch, exchanging rings and promises.
He winks at you in the middle of your thought and your stomach somersaults. By the time you make it to your spot, your face is burning, but you don't have long to dwell on it as the first chord sounds for Amy's song. The guests stand, everyone looking back, watching the bride make her way to her husband-to-be. All but one person. You catch Sebastian staring again, refusing to look away no matter how much you discreetly shake your head at him, urging him to watch the events like a good groomsman. The more you roll your eyes at him, the bigger he smiles, barely containing his laughter.
The music comes to an end as Amy takes George's hand, the final notes carried away on the air. Standing beside them, you watch tearfully as two of your best friends promise their hearts to each other.