The Prologue

Prologue:

"Seventeen years ago I was just a little girl; four years old, pig tails in my hair, and a little pink spring dress. I was having a lovely picnic with my family: My Mother, Father, and older sister Andy. I still remember that day like a movie is playing in my mind as I speak. Sunlight streaming on my skin, my parents laughing as they watched my sister and I play tag. At the time my sister was only eight, and my mother was carrying my brother around, She was around eight months pregnant with little Anders. I got to decide his name, I thought of all the hugs I would be giving him when he came out of my mother. So he was named after my favorite bear that I lost in the theme park when we found out the news about mother being pregnant. That is a whole different story for another time. But my sister and I were able to convince our parents to let us go to the swing set just down the trail. Even though I didn't know how to swing; Andy being the best sister always was more than happy to push her little sister. The bond I had with her was very strong, sometimes as strong as a pair of twins would have. When she was six years old she woke up with a strangle pain in her chest, my parents were very worried and rushed her to the emergency room. That night she found out news a child or even parents don't want to hear; she had stage three heart cancer. And to what I have heard the doctor told them in their medical words that it was growing fast, and the only way to successfully stop it from spreading anywhere else was to get her a new heart. Bad news was that they wouldn't have a heart to match her for another two months. Andy always tells me about the time she was in the hospital under argent care. Every time our parents would come up there to visit her, I would throw the biggest fit a two year old could do when they tried to not take me too. I would always bring my bear Anders and my favorite book Alice in Wonderland, which surprisingly was my sisters too. I remember Andy always telling me this part with the biggest smile on her face; I would rush into her room, climb onto the bed, cuddle up to her, and the nurse would tuck us both in as Andy started to read the story. Every time it never fail she would get through half of it and I would be asleep at her side. Andy said every time there would be a smile on my face while I cuddled to her. That was her favorite part seeing me happy to be next to her. And that is why everyday I am reminded that it was my smile that helped Andy fight those two months, so she could see that happy smile while I slept and when I was awake. She wanted to see me grow up and help be apart of every smile and be the shoulder to hold every tear that fell from my eyes. Hearing that makes me feel special every time I hear that. To know you are the reason someone fought to stay alive. You know what that feels like? Imagine you are swimming down a lazy river, and all you hear is birds chirping, the water flowing, wind blowing, and leaves waving along with the wind. It makes your whole body relax and feel at a rush as well. But that sunny day at the park with my family was far from a relaxing rush, it's also the reason my sister Andy beats herself up everyday for one little mistake. Little does she know she was my reason to not give up and die........."