Chapter Three

It went on this way for another month. My grades rose, and I had a near perfect score in Algebra, which is the normal math class for juniors. Alice got a boyfriend, leaving me to be by myself a lot. And the popular bitches kept up their crap. I actually slapped Rochelle once, but she didn't tell anyone. Mostly she didn't want to be humiliated by the fact that I actually won a fight. 

Kaitlyn's job has been going well. She gets 40 dollars a week. I told her to keep it for herself, but she insisted on using it to help the family. In case you didn't notice, I pretty  much take care of my siblings by myself. Dad can never be counted on, and Mom is always at work. So I take care of them. I help them with their homework, I cook for them, I tuck the little ones in. I love them, though, so it's okay.

"VENICE!" I heard a shriek. I was home for longer than usual, since the days were longer and I had more daylight to mow in. I could be mowing until 8 instead of 6. I opened the door to see every single one of my siblings standing there, except Kaitlyn. "What is it?" I asked Makenna, who had screamed. She turned and pointed at the road. Kaitlyn was standing in front of another girl. I watched as the girl raised her fist and punched Kaitlyn square in the face. I started running towards them. By the time I got there, they were in a full-on fistfight. I pulled the girl off Kaitlyn and shoved her away. "Go home," I told her forcefully, and grabbed Kaitlyn by the arm. I motioned for the other kids to go inside, and followed them, dragging Kaitlyn. I pushed her down into a chair. She cradled her wrist and looked at the ground. 

"Guys, go into the living room for a while," I told the other kids. I stood in front of Kaitlyn. "What the hell was that?" I asked. "She insulted us. As a family." She began to cry. "Hey, I know things are tough. We're trying our best though. Okay?" I hugged her. "Now let's get that wrist bandaged." I opened the pantry and grabbed an Ace bandage. I knew from health class how to wrap it. I glanced at the clock. I had to leave. "I've got to go, okay? I'll see you guys soon." I hopped on my bike and headed off to work.

I had to mow for the Deckers today. I hated it because they had a ton of landscaping, but it was okay. I began working, singing along to Christina Perri. The mower sputtered, and died in the middle of the yard. I sighed, and went to go get the gas can. I kept singing, forgetting that I could easily be heard. 

A car slowly pulled up and stopped in front of the house. A man in the suit got out of the car and walked over to me. I took my earbuds out. "Can I help you?" I asked suspiciously. He stuck out his hand. "My name is Isaac Greyson. I work for Entourage Talent Associates. And I must say, you have an extrodinary singing voice!" I smiled. "Thanks," I said. "Have you ever thought about becoming a vocal musician?" This caught me off guard. I shrugged. "Maybe, I haven't really thought about what I want to do yet." He handed me a card. "I see potential in you, young lady. Call me when you have a chance." He walked back to his car. I looked at the card, and stuck it in my pocket. He saw potential in me! I beamed. I still had to finish my job though. I continued with what I was doing. This was turning out to be a great day.