Chapter Two

Mother looked at Wince and then to Bethanea. It seemed as if she refused to look at me because I looked like her when she was at the castle. I was always known for my not-so-manly features but today was the day they would be put to use. My mind flickered to the thought of if Asher would recognize me. I obviously don't look like I used to And the fact that I had make up on might lower the chances.

"I can't believe you're going to be doing this," Wince said with a slightly humored tone. We had a serious conversation about how my dressing up as a woman could cause a chain of various events. I only laughed as he looked at me again with surprise.

Bethanea spoke up. "You look so pretty, y'know! I actually feel a little intimidated!" Mother nudged her shoulder and looked toward me with a sudden calmness.

"You look beautiful."

****

The ride there was almost tiring. I had constantly thought about how I should feel more excited than nervous, but it happened to be the other way around. I looked out the window at the changing scenes to calm my nerves, and I wrote in the diary my sister had given me when she was five. She stated that all people must record the events in their life and remind themselves how far they've come every now and then. Ever since that time the diary has filled with many stories of events that have happened on different days.

I've made it to the outskirts of Lilliad plains. and all i can feel is this odd feeling in my heart. Going back after so long seems almost like a dream. When I left I could see the pain in my mother's eyes, for she was not going to see her firstborn for a long while. I wish I could console her from the capital. I often wonder why we left. Did it have to do with something out of our control? Or was it an accident that forced us out. I may never know. Right now, I'll rely on the memories I have to keep me afloat. The future is unclear to me right now, so I don't want to think to hard on it. For now, I'll try to think of a way to reintroduce myself to the Shiori Family, and hopefully be able to reconnect with my long lost friend. I wonder what he looks like now. Though I hear many stories of his appearance and his personality, I can never quite grasp the image they see. It's like when a word rests at the tip of your tongue, but no matter how hard you try; it remains their until you hear it again. For me, it has been nearly a lifetime since this 'word' has surfaced, and I am eager to see what it becomes...

****

Night falls as the coach approaches the ginormous river. The smell turns from a farmer's region to that of larger cities, and images flash of the views I longed to see. With my heart in my throat I listen to the horses' hooves clop onto the stone of a bridge. When I look out, the glittering lights of a far off city reflect against the water, and welcome me back with wavering disappearance and reappearance. The moon isn't present to greet me back to my home, but it only allows the stars to have a better show. I look past the mesmerizing river to the mountain range. Just a little in front of it lies Euphoria, the capital. There I will be the governess of a newborn, and I will try to reconnect with Asher; but only if the fates allow. I honestly expect it to be nearly impractical for me to try, especially like this. In this disguise, I would never be able to express those same expressions Asher and I had when we were younger. To make my self-loathing worse, he would probably never be as close to me as a woman like he would if I were a man in his presence. People would be expecting a wedding announcement within days of our meeting if we were to get too terribly close!

Upon all of the thoughts though, I drift off to a dreamless oblivion; awaiting arrival to the capital. I had personally requested as little stops as possible. The nice thing about this trip was that I wasn't doing it on foot like I did twelve years ago. That was for sure a living hell.

I wake to find the coach halted. "We're stopping in Vinceport," the man pulling it said. "I suggest you stretch your legs for the day, we'll be leaving at noon."