Chapter Three

In the time it has taken to arrive at the castle, I've had many long moments to think about the past. I've realized that I actually do miss Asher. We were best friends since I could even remember. Mother would tell me about how had practically clung to my crib side. Every time I would cry, he would beg to hold me; it would even get to the point where he would throw his own pity party if he didn't get his way. From then on him and I were inseparable.

I look at the paper with a warm smile fixated on my face. Asher has probably changed a lot by now, looking more like an heir to the throne instead of a small and chubby bear cub (haha). So many thoughts kept appearing in my mind of what he would look like. Was he tall, did his eyes lighten up to a soft brown? Maybe he kept his hair short. The thoughts filled me with excitement as I watched the tip of the castle appear before me.

"We are almost there my lady," the Coachman said with ease; if only he could see the thrill on my face as the beautiful towers elongated on the horizon. Being gone for so long practically felt like a sin to me, and I just can't help but urge him to go faster. I felt the horses begin to trot along the windy path.

****

"The governess will be arriving any time soon," My butler said to me calmly. I don't know what he expected me to do about it, she wasn't coming here for me. My nephew was currently all the rage at the castle, and even I could admit he was something admirable, but right now my mind was on a different person; did Mrs. Terrance really have another daughter when she left here? I was very aware of Bethanea almost instantly on the day of her arrival. My mother, the Queen, was very close to her so they had kept in contact even after she had left the castle. I let my mind wander to someone else... someone I had lost a very, very long time ago.

Roman had stopped writing letters to me after Bethanea was born. I hadn't bothered thinking about him since, but why now of all times? Something just seemed off about all of this.

"Asher?" Another voice calls for me from outside the study. It was Maine, my nephew's mother. "You are going to greet Mrs. Terrance's daughter right? She is a welcomed member of our family you know!" she calls from the hallway. I know she wants me to, so I stand from the leather chair and begin making my way to the foyer, Maine taking my arm as we walked down. The hallways echo with the sound of maids becoming feverishly excited for the daughter of an old friend to join them. Coming around the corner and into the foyer where a small figure awaits us.

...

What is she doing...?

****

I can't believe I'm back! I spin in a circle and smile as I begin to look around before they get here. The place has changed quite a bit; A new has been lain through in the center of the foyer, and a more recent painting of the royal family has been hung at the back wall. I truly is a spectacular sight. I turn around to the wall and feel the ancient stone against my hand. God I missed my home so much!

"Ahem.." someone behind me says, clearing their throat. Everything in me stops almost instantly as I feel both of their confused stares hit my back. "You must be... Mrs. Terrance's daughter.... no?"

I turn to look at the speaker. "Yes, I am! It's an honor to meet the both of you," I say warmly as I look at her smooth and beautiful face. Then I look to the man beside her... and again... He looked... very  familiar...

That's when our eyes lock and I feel everything go downhill. "Romania," his voice says coolly; His broad features, though, let off that he was royally shocked to see me here. I just nod in his direction. This was just awkward...

I looked up into his dark eyes and felt many questions rise up in my throat. Why were you at a tavern?  What provoked you to come and escort me? Why the hell did you get so tall?! I look at him with awe, feeling stupid for not recognizing him sooner.

"I-... I've heard a lot about the family," I say with an awkward restraint. They both look at me, one with a soft smile and the other with confusion. "It's an honor meeting you both. You must be Princess Maine!" I look toward her with a warm familiarity.

Maine looks at me and smiles, "Yes, I am. It's very nice to finally see a family member after such a long time." Her head tilts to the side as she looks right through me  with her rustic eyes. Does she know?  "I'll show you to Cade's room, he'll probably be sleeping right now, but feel free to become accustom to the surroundings. If you would like," She nudges Asher's ribs, "We can also show you around the rest of the castle."

Asher gives a small grunt of annoyance as I nod happily. Maybe after all of this is done, I can get to know him better. It's very obvious he doesn't recognize me, but I feel that I will be able to get closer to him again...

#Author's Notes

Hey! I know this is a rather short chapter, but I hope you enjoyed reading it. I'll probably jump onto the next one if I have time later. If not I'll do it like I did this one and just write whenever possible. But thanks for keeping up :* I'll work hard.