Chapter fourteen: The prophecy

I kept remembering what Claes told us during training. "When it comes to using weapons, you need to be quick, strong, and smart enough to take an enemy down. However, you must know and remember every advantage you can use with your weapon of choice and its limits.

Using a weapon is just like using a wand. Like a wizard, it can interact and manipulate your magic with ease, but take note of this: 'The weapon's interaction depends on your magic. Learn to find a way to attack, like the river endlessly going forward and push through until it pierces to the end. By using every weapon, learn and use every tactic and maneuver on how to use it, that is the true warrior way.'" Claes demonstrated a proper way on how to swing a sword. Thankfully, I know how to handle these weapons, especially the ones that are used for hunting. Thanks for the training, dad.

Chloriette got very used to light weapons such as daggers. Incredibly, Lenard was a fast learner, he knew how to use an agile weapon such as a saber. He's quite good at it. The way he swings, the way he grips the sword as if he could be one of the top swordsmen. Lenard was flattered, a wizard and a swordsman at the same time, why not? But to our surprise, Lenard wasn't actually into swords.

Victor, last but not least. By the time he got used to the whole-weapon-training-stuff, Claes managed to train Victor as his rookie. As he said, he's an athlete, a newly recruited athlete. Victor favored more in close combat, so he only used brass knuckles.

Due to what had happened during my first day of training, my shooting skills got more impressive. I even thought this would make me a cheater. Every shot I take, always hits the mark as it goes faster and further, the arrow (Darts, metal, spiky-shaped stars, and other weapons for range) dashed more than a speed of light.

Lenard and I sparred in sword combat too. Somehow, I could see everything went into slow motion. I parried his attacks and by a flash, my wooden blade (yes, I was using a wooden sword) almost reached my sparring partner's neck. His eyes grew wide. "Whoa, you're fast!"

I pulled my blade, sorry- wooden sword, away from him. "Yeah, my dad taught me a couple of things."

"I wish my dad can do the same." Lenard furrowed his eyebrows. "But he mostly does research and all that other nerdy stuff." Then abruptly I dodged as he swung his saber on me.

"The most important thing in using a weapon: never lose it, unless it is badly damaged." Our training goes on and on, I swear. To make this clear, the weapon training was all about using any kind of weapons by knowing every offense and defense, same as combat training.

Fortunately, we had our break, and we brought lunch. The background changed into the summer forest. All of us were sitting underneath a tree, safe from the sun's heat. "Wow," Lenard patted himself on the back. "I have to admit, I feel relieved. I never thought that I would love training. Not at first, but . . . It changed me."

"You can say that again." Victor drank a bottle of water. "This reminds me of my dad and my uncle Szhcotts, they had fun and got used to this type of training, and they liked it."

"I have to be honest guys," Chloriette called. "We didn't just learn in our training, we achieved this training progressively like it's natural. Don't you think it's a little strange?" We all stared at each other, wondering about that question.

"Yeah." I drank a whole bottle of water. "I didn't even realize how fast we've learned in training for a few days."

"It's because the four of you are gifted prodigies," Claes appeared on top of the tree. "I forgot to mention to you guys." Claes jumped down, but his feet didn't make any sound as he landed. "The four of you worked together as one. And judging from your past experiences, you apply it here."