chapter 1

I wake up with a start another nightmare about Cato dying at the hands of the games. We've both agreed that I would go into the games this year and he would go the next. I look at my clock and its only 8 the reapings don't start till 10 so I wake up and go into The kitchen of our house. I lived there with my brother Kain and my father. my mother had died in the line of duty she was a peace keeper in district 7 she was shot in an attempted uprising. When I walk into the kitchen Kain is at the stove making bacon and eggs for the both of us. He is on 14 so his name will only be entered in the drawing twice so there's no chance of him getting reaped and anyways Tyler longs is going to volunteer this year. Him and I are going to be representing district 2 this year in the 74th hunger games. After I eat my eggs and bacon I head upstairs to my room and go through my closet to look for a nice reaping out fit. I decide to wear my moms favorite yellow sleeveless sundress and her white heels. Then I go to my dresser and grab my token my mothers wedding ring. Its silver with a tiny diamond on it my father paid a lot of money for it and it was my mothers prized possession and after she died my father left it to me. Now I wear it everywhere. I put my hair in a braided bun and look at the clock its 9:30 I walk outside to meet up with cato and I see him waiting right outside my house. I give him a kiss on the lips and he tells me I look beautiful. I grab his hand and and we walk together to the sign in area. The peace keeper pricks my finger and sends me off to go stand with the other 16 year old girls. I scan the 14 year old boy section and find my brother Kain standing next to his best friend josh. I give them a small wave and turn just as Sandra stars gets our attention and we all look towards the video they play every year about the games and stuff. Then the mayor rosie mill gets up and does her speech and then Sandra gets on the stage to and say "as always ladies first" she walks over to the girls bowl and pulls out a name "ANNIE MILL" ohh my god the the mayors daughter but I raise my hand an shout "I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE" and gracefully walk to the stage. "And now for the boys" she walks over and has a diffult time getting a slip then she beam "Kain kentwell" thats my brother. I stand there waiting for Tyler to volunteer and he doesn't I began to cry as my brother walks to the stage why was Tyler so scared I swear when I get home I'll kill him. Then all of the sudden I hear "I VOLUNTEER" although it wasn't from Tyler it was from Cato. My Cato.