xxiii - I Remember

I remember the first time we met. We were at a post-wedding party for our Mothers' friend and all the other kids were 8 or under. So that's how I found myself backed up against a wall with you by my side.

I remember the first thing you said to me. Your eyes had scanned me from curly brown haired head to black heeled toes. Then you had said, "I'm Josh."

I remember the first thing I said to you. I had held my breath after you had introduced yourself, because gorgeous guys like you didn't talk to nerdy girls like me. I had considered my reply and ended up saying, "Hi Josh, I'm Tegan."

I remember the first time you put your arm around me. I was shivering in nothing but my black and gold dress and black cardigan, after your little sister had stolen my half drenched blanket from me. The rain was making the fine hairs on my arm stand upright, and you placed your blanket around my shoulders, accompanied by your arm.

I remember the first time I kissed you. We had been wrapped up in the blanket for a while, talking about our seperate lives and laughing whenever one of the younger kids fell over. Eventually I gave up on talking and kissed your lips, forgetting everything else in the world around me. You kissed me back. I had never been happier.

I remember the first time you said goodbye. It wasn't a sad goodbye; your mum had to go home early so she could go to work at 10. And that wasn't the last time you said goodbye, but it was the only time you said it like you weren't coming back.

I remember it all. And I'll always remember it. You weren't the first love, but you were the last.

I remember.