Chapter 1

My name is Jade Vanim. My family loves me dearly. But there is something that they, nor no one else, knows or ever will. I have been a bad girl. "There's always been something strange about you." That was always my father's favorite phrase. He had no idea. The fact that he's already dead and that it's my fault...it makes me feel guilty. Well, I have that right. He wanted me to feel guilty. That's why he left me the explanation after the explosion.
One of my old school friends, Vanna, and her boyfriend, Sebastian, got me really involved in Anime. Vanna, obviously, being short for Savanna. No one ever calls her that, though. She doesn't allow it.I don't really know why, I guess it's just kinky for them. It's whatever though, because the Russian broad is my best friend. I'll do pretty much anything she asks. If she wants me to sit and watch Black Butler with her, I'll do it. Also because it's interesting and kind of funny. Vanna was also picked from her family. What are the odds, you might ask, about my family and Vanna's family, happening to coincide? Well, my curious dears, it is simply because hunter families still sometimes have arranged marriages. The families tend to stick together for this purpose.
So about me. I have dyed black short, spiky hair. I don't remember what the natural color is anymore. It's in the little me pictures, but who has time to dig those out these days? It's pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. I love the person who cut it this way...which was me, by the way. I wear heavy eyeliner and mascara all hours of the day. My eyes are deep blue, but I wear Jade green contacts a lot. The base color of my clothes is usually black. Sometimes, I'll throw in some red or green or blue. I never wear pink, yellow or orange. The colors themselves make me sick. Just about anything else, I'll consider. I have freckles covering my nose. I have eight ear piercings. I have my tongue, nose, eyebrow, and lips pierced. I am 15 years old. I've had 2 boyfriends since I was 11. I know, it's sad, but ahh, it's my life. Sometimes, the boys just bore me and that's the end of the relationship.
So, this strangeness about me. I am a hunter. Not like an animal hunter, but a person hunter. Whenever the government needs someone gone, they call me. I am the best of the best. I began training at the age of 4. The role of hunter/huntress is passed down throughout my family by one or two children per generation. Luckily for me, or more likely, unluckily for you, I was picked from my family. My uncle Ricardo picked me and my older sister, Morgan. Morgan loves to learn about this stuff, but she's just not cut out for it. At the end of our training, we have to face off. There can only be one per generation. I will win. I just don't want to have to kill her. But I don't want to be killed either.
I have four sisters and two brothers. Morgan Alyssa Vamin is the oldest, next is Vincent Vanim, then Violet Vamin, Lily Vanim and Rose Vanim. Then it's me and my younger brother. We don't know his name yet. He hasn't been born yet. Morgan and Vinnie are twins, they are 17. Violet and Lily are also twins and they are 16. Rose and I are the third set of twins and we are 15. All three of our sets of twins have different mothers. We all spawn from the same father though. And all of our mothers have died giving birth to us. Or, they were paid a lot of money to be gone for a long time. I never really figured out which.
The only one who hasn't died yet is our new step mom, Rochelle. She makes me want to shoot myself in the face. Her voice is so fake and high. She is the step mother from Hell, I swear. If I could, just to get rid of her, I would kill thousands of people. But, alas, I'll just have to wait until after the child is birthed.
On the bright side, I get to name this child. It's a family tradition. The child before the most recent names the recent one. Rose didn't name me, Lily did. And Violet named Rose. But, Dad named Vinnie and Morgan because they are the oldest ones. I think I will name this young fetus Benjamin or Octavius Vanim. His nickname will be Tavvy or Minn. I know, I'm awesome.
Our dad's name is Carlos. In case you couldn't tell, we are very Spanish. We have ancestors from Spain, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic.
Sometimes if I get really angry, I will start yelling in Spanish without realizing it. Sometimes, I don't even know what I say, but my Dad does and he gets mad. It can be funny, but only afterwards. If I start yelling, then something is seriously wrong. I almost never lose my temper.
Being as young as I am, no one would ever expect me to be a cold-blooded killer. That's what I thought, too. No. When you're being hunted by the government, you learn to expect everything. There was this one guy, Aaron Kosminski, or otherwise known as Jack the Ripper. I didn't personally fight him, Uncle Ricardo's great grandfather did, but he told me the stories that were passed down about our hunting history.
He told me about Jack. Joshua Coleman, Rich Nardian, Renee Aleshire. I'm sure you have no idea who any of these people are. That's because all of these people were tracked down by my family, then killed by them. I know it sounds bad, but it was all to help to save more lives in the long run. We caught notorious murderers, terrorists, robbers, and traitors. If, while you are reading this, you happen to get scared of my family, don't worry. If I need to find you, I'll find you. Don't ever try to find me, because if you actually succeed, you will need to die. Sorry, that's just how it goes.
My first fight was hard. That's usually how it goes, but I was like a level one Pokémon versus a level 100 warlock from World of Warcraft. My first fight was with Nidal Malik. He killed 13 people. He was an army major. I was close to catching him for a while, but I didn't have the tools for a clean kill, so I let him go. That was and will be the only time I ever let one get away from me. It's not in my nature to do that. If the government needs you gone and aren't found right away, I will get you. And I will kill you, too. Never question it, because it is my job, and I am good at it. I have no remorse. That's why Ricardo picked me.
Morgan, on the other hand, is very sensitive. She almost declined the training. She never hurt a fly. The only reason she took up the training offer was because she thought only one could be chosen and that Uncle Ricardo had no other choice.  Well, that was right before they started to case me. I was about three at the time and they could already see the wonderful gleam of mischief in my eyes. Then they saw me go after the rabbits. They had never seen any three year old run that fast. I actually caught one, too. I named him Robbie the Rabbit, only I couldn't say all that so I just called him Robbit. Robbit died when I turned seven. I didn't cry. I knew better than that. Morgan cried when Robbit died. I never knew why she got so upset, since he was mine, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is that she is soft and I don't think she will make it as one of us.
Robbit was actually a girl. She had seven litters while I had her. Each baby rabbit was a little different than the last one. There was always one that was bigger than all of the others and one that was smaller than all the others. One litter in particular, her third, only one of the kits survived through the first week. I named this one Alira. She was all black. She's still alive. I have her in my room while I train and go to school. She has had 12 litters since I was 9 years old. Her color has turned a dull gray now. I think she's going to die soon