A Lifetime Ban

(Vote/Comment/Follow)
~

I pushed myself up off the ground, Madam Hooch before us looking enraged. She had just hit us with the Impediment Jinx. My knuckles were bloody and  the side of my face stung. George was sprawled out on the ground sporting a swollen lip.

"I've never seen behaviour like it- back up the the castle, all of you, straight to you Head of House's office! Go! Now!"

I got to my feet and followed silently behind Fred, behind Harry. My hand began to ache. My  heart raced and my lungs drew air in quickly, continuously out of breath.
We weren't quite at McGonagall's door when she sped toward us from behind.  HEr feet clicking violently on the ground. She tore her Gryffindor scarf from around her neck with trembling hands.

"In!" she demanded, point toward the door. She marched in after us and behind her desk, she said down, sighing with great exasperation.

"Well?" she said. "I have never seen such a disgraceful exhibition. Three onto one! Explain yourselves!"

"Malfoy provoked us," Harry said truthfully but still looking boiling.

"Provoked you?" she shouted, slamming a fist onto her desk so hard it rattled and her biscuit tin fell sideways off the edge. "He'd just lost, hadn't her, or course he wanted to provoke you! But what on earth he can have said that justified what you three-"

"He insulted my parents," snarled George. "and Harry's mother."

"And you?" she looked at me through slits in her eyes.

"Molly and Arthur are my family too."

"But instead of leaving it to Madam Hooch to sort out, you resorted to Muggle dueling did you?"

"Hem, hem."

My heart dropped and I quickly turned toward the voice. Umbridge was standing in the doorway wrapped in a green tweed cloak that resembled toad skin. She had an overjoyed smile on her face that made me hate her even more.

"May I help, Professor McGonagall?" asked Professor Umbridge in a voice so horrifically sweet I could throw up.
McGonagall's face grew red.

"Help?" she choked out, somehow not exploding at her. "What do you mean, 'help'?"

Umbridge waddled into the room, beaming.

"Why, I thought you might be grateful for a little extra authority."

"You thought wrong," she said, contempt dripping from her words. "Now, you three had better listen closely. I do not care what provocation Malfoy offended you, I do not care if he insulted every family member you possess, your behaviour was disgusting and I am giving you each of you a week's worth of detention! Do not look at me like that, Black, you deserve it! And if any of you ever-"

"Hem, hem." 

McGonagall closed her eyes as if praying for enough patience not to back hand Umbridge...

"Yes?"

"I think they deserve rather more than detentions," said Umbridge, still smiling broadly.

"But unfortunately," McGonagall said, attempting to return the smile in such a way that he looked to  be in pain. "it is what I think that counts, as they are in my House, Dolores."

"Well, actually, Minerva," the corner of her mouth turned to a smirk. "I think you'll find that what I think does count. Now, where is it? Cornelius just sent it... I ean,"she gave a small fake laugh as she dug through her pink handbag, "the Minister just sent it... Ah yes..."