Prologue

Prologue

Legends have stated that vampires were bloodthirsty creatures, who'd suck a victim dry of blood, thus turning them into a vampire as well. Legends also claim a vampire can be killed with a stake, will die from holy water, will weaken from garlic and will perish in sunlight.

In reality, vampires only sip a small amount before sealing up the cut. They can be killed by a stake, as will a human if the stake was sharp enough. They will weaken from exposure to sunlight, but only after a couple of hours.

I was blooded when I was 12. It's been 2 years now since I met my mentor, Darius Pierce. You see, my mum passed away when I was a baby, and my dad died 2 weeks after my 10th birthday. He had a sudden stroke and the doctor's couldn't save him.

Ever since then, I've stayed with my aunt in the countryside. She was a witch. For the first week, she was sympathetic but after all my relatives checked on me and made sure I was in good hands, she showed he true colours. She would force me to do all the chores and would threaten to raise a hand to me if I didn't obey her. She wanted my father's money. It was awful.

One day, I was walking to the village school when I saw a man by the river. He was writhing in pain. When I ran to him, I saw his right ankle was bruised and throbbing. I ran to the nearest store and bought a pack of ice for his ankle.

As I ran back to him, he noticed me but just stared at me calmly, waiting to see what I would do. I put the pack of ice on his ankle and told him to sit still, and it would heal. Then, without waiting for his answer, I stood up, grab my bag and ran to school.

That's when we met for the first time. Later, I found him hiding at the back of the house, waiting for me to appear. He had dark brown hair, piercing blue eyes and was dressed completely in green. He had various scars on his face, but I didn't ask why until later.

"I never really got to thank you for what you did," he said, "Darius. Darius Pierce. And you?"

"I'm KayLi Powell." I muttered.

"Pleasure to meet you, KayLi Powell," he said, and the next time I looked, he was gone.

That was the first time I had met him. Later on, we would meet in the meadows near my aunt's house and talk. Over the years, we grew closer. He was like a second father to me. He even told me how he was a vampire and about his life as a vampire. He made me feel safe.

4 months later, he told me he was leaving. He asked me if I wanted to join him. He put it gently at first, then explained to me what would happen and how it would be like. I sat there for a long time, thinking, and weighing out the pros and cons as he watched me. In the end, I decided to join him. He blooded me. It was a bit painful but I was alright later. Then, I got on his back as he flitted into the night.