Chapter 2- News

When we approached the Hall of Princes, Darren ran to the thrones while me, Mr. Crepsley and Darius stood at the back of the room, with me in the middle. The attention was clearly on the man sitting on a throne at the front. He looked out of place. He had short white hair, wore thick glasses, a bright yellow suit and green wellington boots.

When the room was so packed that I didn't think even a mouse could creep in, the man, I assumed he was Mr. Tiny, stood up and smiled wickedly.

'Hello hello, vampires. How are you faring lately?" he started, with a silly grin on his face. Most of the vampires in the room just stared stony faced at the man, waiting for him to continue. "Anyway, I've been thinking, not much excitement have been happening recently. So I've invented "The Destiny Games", "he grinned. " The Destiny Games is where 2 competitors are chosen from various….races… and will have to survive through the 14-days ordeal. In this case, it wouldn't be fair to leave you vampires out of it, so yes, two of you are going in the Games." He smiled widely. "And those two would be… is eyes scanned around the room, and seemed to settle on me. No, he couldn't be…..

KayLi Powell….."

My heart skipped a beat when I heard that. Darius had warned me Mr. Tiny was a dangerous man. I was in such a state of shock I didn't hear the name he called next. I just stood there, oblivious to the world around me, when Darius gently squeezed my shoulder, bringing me back to reality. "Are you alright?" I realized Darren had joined us too, and was staring at me anxiously. I smiled weakly. "I'll be fine. So who's my partner?" Darius made a face then, and this time, I was even more shocked when he said " Your partner will be Larten."

I looked at Mr. Crepsley. He had sat himself on one of the rows, and was thinking deeply. When he saw I was alert, he stood up and walked over to us, cursing. He looked at me "Mr. Tiny had this planned. He would not have known you were coming. You have not even connected with the Stone of Blood yet. The question is, why you and me?"

Darius was worried too. He frowned, trying to put all this together. "Why-" he managed to choke out. "Alas, we do not know, Darius." Mr. Crepsley said softly, eyes full of remorse. Another vampire walked up to us. He was old, and dresses completely in red too. ""Come, Larten, Darius, bring your protégés and we'll go to the Hall Of Khledon Lurt. You need a drink." Numb, we all walked slowly back, the old vampire supporting Mr. Crepsley at the front, and me, Darren and Darius at the back.

We all crowded around a table. The new vampire-Seba Niles, poured drinks for us all. He introduced himself to me "You must be KayLi. I am Seba Niles, the quartermaster." "It's a pleasure to meet you." I mumbled back to him.

After long hours of listening to the vampires discuss what Mr. Tiny must be plotting, I started to doze off. Mr. Crepsley noticed me. " Darius, you should find KayLi a room. She has had a rough day." Darius nodded. "Come," Seba said. "If it's alright," I said shyly, "could I not have a room to myself? I'd feel more comfortable with someone else." At that, Seba scratched his head. "That would be tough, young one, as you are a female." A long, uncomfortable silence ensued, and I was close to tears at staying in a room alone, when Darius cut in. "Well, I'm staying with Larten, but I suppose it could do no harm if you stayed with us. You are my protégé, after all." I looked anxiously at Mr. Crepsley, awaiting his response. He scratched his scar and said " It will be fine. If you are not content with staying on your own, I suppose you could sleep with us. It is a big room, after all." He grinned sheepishly, the first time I've seen him smile.

Seba stood up. " Come then," offering his hand to me. Yawning, I gladly accepted his hand. We bid goodnight to Darren, who was going back to the Hall of Princes to discuss the matter further with the other Princes. Seba led us to a room. As we approached, 2 vampires came out after setting down another coffin, bidding us goodnight. With that, we said goodbye to Seba and I laid down in my new coffin, to an uneasy sleep.