Chapter 4

“Whatever I ain’t for having  everybody’s leftovers” I said. 

“Have it your way Free, but I’m telling you this could be your chance” Keke said yawning, as she laid back. 

“Whatever. You such a big mouth Keke, now look what you did” I said. 

“Just tell Raymond you don’t want him, it was a mistake, he be alright” Keke said pulling her covers back, and getting up under them. I got under the covers too. 

“What a night” I  said. 

“One crazy night. I can’t believe Jay did that though. Crazy” Keke  said. 

“Sho’ nuff crazy” I said. 

“Girl it’s almost five in the morning. Dog where time go” Keke said. 

“I don’t know. Good morning Keke” I said. 

“Good morning Free” Keke said as we both dosed. 

So I spent the weekend with Keke, and we had fun as always.  Sunday afternoon rolled around, and I was at home. My mom was at work, Jabari hadn’t come from his dad house yet, and Marissa was sitting in my lap playing with a toy. 

Despite being wit Keke all weekend, I had never stopped thinking about Brianna, and the moments we shared at that party. 

 I kept replaying it over, and over and over again. 

I just couldn’t believe it happened. I couldn’t wait till school tomorrow, just so I could see her. Monday came sooner than expected. I was both excited, and frightened about it. Excited for Brianna, frightened because I had to face Raymond. 

I wasn’t even really sure what he was gonna say. 

I sat at the breakfast table, eating breakfast as my mom watched the morning news.  The news anchor talking about how the Black Kings, shot up some White lady, and robbed her. 

“I bet if she was Black the news wouldn’t pay it no mind. What the hell was she doing on this side of town anyway? Her ass know not to come over here” my mom said. The lady is dead and all my mama could think about is race. 

“White people setting themselves up for failure.  Hell ya ask me she probably deserved it. But whatever dumb nigga did it, know they finna  be thrown under the jail. White people run everything. The set the system up so Black people can’t progress.  White man run everything. Damn crackers is salty” my mom fussed.  I began eat my breakfast faster, because in just one minute or less my mom would go in an all out rant about how much she hate White people. 

“Blue-eyed devil is everywhere. They done moved in down the block from here. It’s a White lady, and she got daughters, like three, and a twin set of babies. Before ya know it, more of them will move in, and probably run us out of what is properly ours.  All they do is take, they take everything, we can’t have anything.  They set the system up so that we don’t move forward, we stay where ever they put us. And these dumb ass Black kids around here, thinking they doing something cause doing all these different crimes. 

When in all actuality, they doing exactly what the White people want them to do.  They being dumb, and acting ignorant.  The more of us that’s locked up in jail, the better it is. They set the system up just for us, their success is our failure.  Oppressed and used as slaves for almost 500 years, break free from that, and they still holding us down. We still piss po’ broke, and don’t own shit. The moment we come up, is the moment they bring us down. White people ain’t shit. Damn blue-eyed devils, that’s all they are.  Everything we got we had to fight for, and we still fighting.  Give us these crappy schools, this illegitimate unfair, justice system, and they expect us to take it, and be grateful for systems that are built to hold us down. Salty ass crackers” my mom fussed some more.