Chapter Ten

He was right. She loves this place. Summer is having a blast playing with the pups and the pups are happy to have another playmate. The recreation area is broken into three sections, pups, Canis, and elders. They are currently occupying the pup center. Seeing her with pups has him thinking maybe they should have pups of their own. What better way to grow his packs number than with his own children? The more he thinks about it; the better it seems.

But if he wants to do that they need to perform the bonding ceremony. If she's pregnant before they are linked forever in the eyes of the pack then she won't be accepted as the Pack Mother and he'll have a rebellion on his hands. He didn't want to put Summer through that. If he did he would be no better than his own father. From what the leaders told him his father was a bad Alpha. He never did anything to improve the situation with the pack. They even told him that they personally like him better than his father.

Especially, Raid. He was trying to get on his good side just because he's his mothers mate. He's happy for his mother but someone younger. He's going to have a step-dad that's younger than him. That explains why she didn't find her mate. He wasn't born yet. He had a talk with Raid. That if Raid made his mother cry he would be dead meat. He got the message. Ricky doesn't dare talk to his mother about this. That's Nicky's job.

Summer's tinkling laugh pulls him away from his thoughts. She's being attacked by the pups altogether. He was playing with them earlier but some of the Caretakers looked uneasy so he stopped. Maybe it was his savage appearance that scared them. Though that didn't stop Summer. Her pale neck is exposed and he's hit with the impulse to mark her.

Bite her. Bite her. Mark her as ours. Bite her.

Not yet. I can't. Once we're married I'll mark her.

Bite her. Bite her. Mark her as ours. Bite her. Ricky understands where his Canis is coming from. He's an animal and animals take what they want when they want it. And Ricky wants Summer. He wants to mark her as his forever but she's human. He doesn't know if she'll readily accept him or reject him. In her eyes everything could be moving too fast. Just because he is one hundred percent certain of them it may take her awhile to feel the depths of their bond. And he's willing to wait for her to be ready even if his animal instinct pulls him another way. He'll never stoop to low as to not think about Summer's comfort above all else.

"Ricky. Thank you so much for bringing me here. And showing me the other places, too, but I love this place, being with the children. Can I still take care of the children when I'm Pack Mother or would I be too busy?" She lumbers toward him because of the pups on her legs almost falling over. He rushes over to catch her but she manages fine on her own.

He smiles. "Actually, a job of the Pack Mother is to teach the pups the requirements for being a full member of the pack. Also, at the school the Pack Mother is often a teacher, well the only teacher in academics. So you can spend time with the pups." To be honest he's making it up as he goes. He can make changes so that if she wants to be with the pups she can. He is the Alpha. And his top priority is to keep his mate happy.

"Really? That's fantastic. I am smart you know. I was the top in my class and my dad had me learn many things that were useless but could come in handy if I'm to be a teacher." He didn't know that about her. But it makes sense given what he knows about rich families. They have money to hire private tutors and such.

"Alpha," Trey called out. Ricky groaned but turned around with a smile on his face. He told them not to call him Alpha but Ricky. It's important to be on Trey's good side, since he's the strongest next to the Alpha, but Ricky doesn't have much fighting experience so Trey is the strongest in the pack for now. "You didn't attend the meeting earlier. Why was that? But you have to attend the meeting with the elders. You wouldn't want them on your bad side."