The Traveller

I always wondered how far I could crawl, walk, run.

At the age of 5, when I just learnt how to ride a bike, I would cycle around in front of the house in circles. Back and forth, up and down the pavement. I could never escape the boring loops of circles, as if they were already paved out for me.Then one day I felt brave? Foolish? Naive? Spontaneous? I pressed the pedals a bit further out of line, next thing I knew I was cycling forward. I felt anxious, scared. I looked back at my house. Although I had only cycled out few metres away I felt so guilty and sad. I was motionless on my bike, gazing back at my house, it felt so distant. At this point I decided to cycle back. And yet when I came back to the front step, looking over to the place where I was gave me the same feeling of sadness that hung over head back then. 

I walked back up to my room. Nothing really entertained me, and if it did it didn't last for long. If there was an entertainment that gave you joy every single time, it wouldn't be true joy, just false. Instead of doing something false I did the most honest activity I could do at this time of boredom. I lied down on my bed and outlined the cracks on the side of the wall with my finger.