Headed to Colorado

~Hey, guys (: I'm kinda new to Wattpad, and this is the first piece I've ever written on here. I've never been much of a writer...I'm more of a reader, and I don't usually like my work all that much :b Well, thanks for reading...hope you like it! And umm...I'm not really the 'cursing' type...so excuse the language...I'm just writing from my character's perspective.

I stare out the window, trying to find a sign that might tell us where the hell we are. All I see is the pale, lifeless gray sky and the little raindrops falling from it. And fields. Lots of fields, one right after the other. It seems like they're never-ending...just like my parents' fighting. I look to my left and find that my three year old brother, Noah has fallen asleep. So has my seven year old sister, Clarissa. They both have such pretty names, that they always get compliments on. I mean, my name is Raven. I was named after a freakin' bird! An ugly, ”evil” bird, for that matter Oh, well. I look to the front of the car. Dad's got both hands on the steering wheel, and Mom's arms are crossed. They're both looking straight ahead. It seems like the only time they don't fight is when they're both silent. "Where are we?" I sigh.

"We're in Kansas, sweetheart. We should be in Colorado in a couple of hours. They're right next to eachother."

"I know my states, Ma." I roll my eyes, demonstrating my annoyance with her.

I lean my head back onto the car seat, and close my eyes.

~~~

I wake up when I feel my head slam into the window.

"Ow! What the fu-?"

"Sorry, kiddo. We hit a speed bump,"  

Dad winces, barely stopping me from letting out a curse word in front of my siblings...his seventh time today. I turn around and my siblings are now awake.

"What the what? You didn't finish your last word!" Clarissa turns to me, waiting for a response. I try to think of something, but can't figure out what to say. I look into the mirror for some kind of help, but Dad just rolls his eyes.

"If you don't remember, it started with fuuu," she reminds me. Oh, Clarissa, my sweet, innocent sister. This was not a good time to try to be nice and helpful.

"Ummm..Fudge! I was going to say 'fudge'." I quickly reply.

"Hmmm...what the fudge? What the fudge? Daddy, what's the answer to that question?" she asks, scratching her head. Kids are too curious...seriously. Before Dad even tries to answer, Mom angrily blurts out, "Seriously, Jeff?” Maybe if you didn't drive so recklessly, your daughter wouldn't have hurt her head, and you wouldn't be dealing with this.” she motioned to the back seat and glared at me, obviously disappointed with my ”potty mouth”. I bet that none of this would've happened if I had been driving," she continued.

   ”Well, Cara, at least I know how to stay on the right damn lane!!” My father shouted back.

Great, another argument about to take place.

Like I always do during their debates, I put on my headphones, and turn the volume all the way up on my iPod. The first song that plays is 'Welcome to my Life' by Simple Plan. I feel like it perfectly describes my situation right now. "Well you don't know what it's like, when nothing feels alright. You don't know what it's like to be like me." I smile a little. What would I do without my music? How would I deal with the fighting? Would I turn to alcohol? Drugs? Self-harm? What would be my escape? I honestly have no clue. After that song ends, 'I Don't Care' by Fall Out Boy plays. While it's not exactly something I could relate to, it definitely helps. To be honest, alternative rock is my favorite music genre, no natter how weird it could get. It's upbeat and catchy, with meaningful lyrics, unlike most modern rap and hip hop, which seems to only talk about smoking pot or having 'shitloads of 'swag''. My thoughts are interrupted when the car slowly comes to a stop, outside of a gas station.

Dad walks into the building, straight to a little table...souvenirs, I'm guessing. I decide that I should go in as well. I've been waiting long enough to use the bathroom, anyway... 3 hours to be precise...I hop out of my seat and start walking towards the gas station door. "Raven, where are you-" 

"Bathroom."

Why do mothers have to be so nosy sometimes? I'm obviously going into the same building as Dad. It's not like I'm gonna go to fucking Narnia or something. When I leave the bathroom, Dad's holding five bracelets that say 'I ♥ Kansas'. Why does he always buy souvenirs? I mean, I'd understand the Cali ones. California was great, and there were alot of hot guys there with amazing muscles...but souvenirs for this shitty road trip?

_____________________

So, that's Chapter 1...not too exciting, I know :/ I'll try to make Chapter 2 a little better. :) Thanks for reading; it means a lot to me!!