Zoë (II)

Dirty Dancing! I love this musical, and I want to audition, but I don't have a clue what I want to sing! Oh well, I'll figure it out later. I smile a goodbye at Anna as she leaves, and spin round; only to see Adrian standing there with his hands in his pockets, grinning at me nervously. "So, auditions... it's a tough choice, right? I mean, Dirty Dancing has so many great songs to choose from, yeah?" he says.

This boy might as well be a mind-reader. This is the conversation that followed;
Me: (awkwardly)"Took the words right outta my mouth!"
Adrian: (smiling) "Oh yeah?"
Me: "Yeah, I mean, it'd be like choosing a favourite kid!"
Adrian:"You're funny! Look, Zoë, is it too forward if I ask you something?"
Me:"Of course. Don't be silly, fire away!"
Adrian: "Would you be interested in performing 'Time of my Life' with me for the audition? I mean, it's the perfect song, and you look like you could dance, so..."

I can't believe it! My heart rises up out of my chest, and inside, I'm smiling like I've never done so prior to that moment! I am estatic, over the moon, I simply can not believe my luck!
I smile and say "Yeah, I think that'd be a fantastic idea!" He beams back at me and tells me that he'll add me on Snapchat, but I nervously inform him that I'm not on Snapchat. "Facebook?", he questions. I shake my head and he pulls out his phone. He asks me to put my mobile number in, and I type it in slowly; almost enjoying the moment that is in it. ☺
When I have finished, he thanks me, grins, and tells me he'll text me to arrange a date to start choreographing and rehearsing. I agree, and he slips out the door. In that second, he is then gone, and I am left wondering whether or not the entire thing had been an illusion.

I walk home with a smile on my face, and as I slip the key from around my neck into the front door of my house, I hear my little sister arguing with my mother. She's twelve, and she thinks she can do whatever she likes. The current topic of "conversation" is whether or not she should be allowed to go to the teenage disco with her friends next year. I certainly wouldn't have been allowed to go when I was her age, though I never asked, because I had very little interest in such affairs, and to be honest, not much has changed in that respect! They began shouting again, and I simply rolled my eyes and ran up the stairs to my room...

I make a start on the maths homework that Mr. Cleary assigned us, and I come to the conclusion that maths is pointless. Fuck maths. After about forty-five minutes, I have struggled through it, and I am free to draw to my heart's content for as long as I desire.
What a joy.

Eventually, I fall asleep on my drawing, and when I wake up, my mascara is smudged, and I'm still in my clothes. I guess that it is approximately 10 o' clock, so I put on fresh clothes, wipe my face with a makeup wipe, and make my way downstairs. I find a scribbled note on the kitchen table, and it says: "Zoë, we have gone out for brunch as a family, but we didn't want to wake you. We're going to do some shopping for Annalise's feis and we should be back at around five o' clock. Much love, Mam xx.

I check my phone and realise that it is nearly one o' clock. Well... there's History homework to do, but I can do it later. I could start cooking lunch, but I'm not really hungry...
There's only one thing to do! I run up the stairs rith mé suas an staighre (Ms. McCartney would be proud of my Irish!), put on a pair of navy leggings and throw a jumper over my head. I throw my hair up into a bun and race back downstairs to the sitting-room.

The Dirty Dancing DVD is sitting on the windowsill, and I quickly open it and slide it into the DVD player....