Chapter Four

Why is it so hard?

I huffed. The appointment was like any other. The doctor did a check up, tried to make me say something and when that didn't work she had rambled about different treatments that only have a 5% chance of working.

I stared at the phone in my hands. I added his number.

A dry laugh bubbled inside me. The note said to call him, just another thing I couldn't do.

I was used to this. It didn't matter if I couldn't hear, when I had art and words to express myself. Words... They're what keep me going. Even if I can't physically hear them I can use them, mold them to anything I want them to be.

A sudden terrible feeling started creeping up at the back of my mind.

I was afraid, anxious. What if this was just a joke? What if he was just trying to make a fool out of me?

It's happened before.

I squeezed my eyes shut. I didn't want to think about the past that haunted me.

Back when I was in grade 10 my parents would send me to my cousin, Stephanie's house every Saturday to hang out. We were inseparable.

I told her all my secrets and she told me hers.

We were both at the park beside her house.

"That's the boy you like?" Stephanie wrote on the notepad, pointing at him.

We were both on the swing sets as we'd usually be.

I nodded.

Stephanie called the boy over and said something to him. He smiled, nodded at her, smiled at me and walked away.

I looked at her questioningly.

"I told him," she scribbled.

I was about to rip the notepad out of her hands to respond but she wrote something else.

"He says he likes you too! He'd love to hang out!"

Every Saturday for 2 months I had gone to the park to see him.

I tried to blink away the tears. I couldn't help it, what she did to me was unforgivable. I was having trouble breathing. My breaths coming out as gasps.

She had tricked me. How hadn't I seen it? Stephanie and the boy were dating but every Saturday they'd string me along.

It was her master prank.

The boy had no idea. He didn't know how I felt. He didn't even know that he played a part in such a terrible point in my life. He doesn't even know what Linda did to me.

Stephanie said I deserved it. That should have known how she felt about him.

How could I have possibly know she liked him too when she never told me?

Later on she'd texted some terrible things to me. Apparently, I was and never will be competition because how could any  guy like a girl like me? That everyone  knows how weird and nerdy I am.

She had no right to say any of that to me. All of that because I wasn't able to read her mind.

My dad had found the texts and everything fell apart. None of us went to their house, called them for special occasions or invited them over. It's like they never existed.

I can't help but wonder if Hunter is doing the same.

I stared at my phone, again.

But I'll never know unless I try and before I knew it my thumbs flew across the phone keyboard.

"Want to meet up?"

"Sure, whenever is good for you! =D"

I dropped my phone on the bed for a moment and leaned back, enjoying the moment.

I really hope I won't regret this...

...

DarkFantasy01 wrote this part.