Chapter 1

I walk down the road with my bat in hand, ready for any unexpected attacks. It's about mid-day and sun beats down on me. I've been walking for days and seen nothing but open road. I notice something not to far away, it looks like a large gate between two cliffs. I run up to the gate and a bunch of women with guns appear at the top of the cliffs.

"Welcome to the Sisters of Mercy. My name's Helen, and you are?" And older woman who I assume is the leader says.

"Jocelyn. Jocelyn Grave." I respond.

"Nice to meet you Jocelyn, are you alone?" She asks. I nod.

"You're welcome to join the Sisters of Mercy." She says giving me a friendly smile. I smile back and nod.

"I'd like that." I say. They open the gate and I step inside. They close the gate behind me and Hellen leads me to a car and drives me into the camp. Once we're there I can see flowers and vegetables growing, a lake with a small waterfall, small buildings, and children laughing and playing. It's beautiful here, but one thing I've noticed is that there's no men here. Hellen stops the car and we walk up to a woman with short red hair.

"Addy this is Jocelyn, she will be join us." Helen informs her. Addy gives me a smile and small wave.

"Nice to meet you Jocelyn. I'm Addison, but everybody calls me Addy." She says.

"It's nice to meet you too. And you can call me Joce." I say.

"Addy do you mind showing her around?" Helen asks.

"Not at all follow me." She says motioning for me to follow her. After she shows me around the camp we sit at a picnic table outside the garden and talk.

"So, why aren't there any guys here?" I ask.

"Only women and children are allowed here. Helen and everybody else thinks that men are evil so they don't allow them here and the kick all the boy's out when they turn thirteen." She explains.

"I'm sure not all men are evil." I say. She nods in agreement.

"Just between you and me, I know there not all evil, I was in a group with men in it before I got here, it's just when I came here and saw how beautiful it was, I left because I didn't want to have to watch my friends die." She says truthfully. I nod my head understanding.

"How long have you been here?" I ask.

"About nine months. Not counting you, I'm the newest member." She says I nod. We hear a rumbling sound and look up at the sky to see a missile of some sort shooting across the sky, it disappears after a few seconds.

"Where do you think that's going?" I ask.

"Hell if I know." She responds. Then looks back at me.

"So Jocelyn, how long were you alone before you came here?" She asks.

"I'd drop in a camp every now and again but none were like this so I never stayed long, but besides that I've been alone since the beginning." I say.

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen."

"So you were like fourteen or fifteen when the apocalypse started. What about your parents?"

"They died before the outbreak when I was twelve, and I didn't really have any relatives so I was put into foster care, and was still in it when the outbreak happened." I explain.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I happened a long time ago, I'm kinda happy they didn't have to live through this. And the lady who ran the foster home was actually really nice to me and all the other girls there."

"That's good." We stay silent for a minute.

"I really like your hair by the way, I don't think I told you that yet." She says.

"Thank you. I used to dye my hair all the time before the apocalypse so when I saw the dye in a store I was searching in I thought, why not. I like your hair, is that its natural color?" I say. She nods. We spend the rest of the day talking before she brings me to a house that I'll be staying in. I like Addy, she like a big sister to me already and we just met today, but I know we'll get along. I go into the bedroom and lay down on the bed. After a couple minutes I drift off to sleep with a smile. I got a good feeling about this place.