Chapter One

There was no hope. Nothing I could do to fix it. I tried everything that I possibly could, but the problem still remained. Nothing I did would block out the sunlight. Groaning, I finally opened my eyes and threw back the covers. After untangling my body from the mess of blankets and throwing my knotted hair into a messy bun I dragged my feet into the kitchen.

"Morning sweetie," my mom smiled at me. She wasn't my birth mother, but after my mother died in labor, she raised me from birth. So she was basically the same thing.

"Buenas dias, mi madre!" She shook her head at me, placing a plate of steamy bacon in front of me. My mouth watered at the smell of piggy goodness.

"What's with all the bacon?" I asked, taking a large bite out of the first piece I could find.

"Well, everyone deserves a wonderful breakfast to start off their big day!!"

"What's so special about today?"

School was out today because of all of the storms that had been spontaneously showing up throughout the last two weeks, but that didn't mean much. I was probably just going to lay around and eat all day. Nothing out of the ordinary. Although my mom's blank stare told me something different.

"Raven... You didn't seriously forget your birthday, did you?" I spewed milk from my mouth in shock. I think some even came out of my nose.

"Is it really?! There's no way... I thought it was next week!" My mom laughed.

"You would be the one to forget your sixteenth birthday. The one day that every girl looks forward to their whole life."

I looked down at myself. I didn't feel any different. I don't think I even looked sixteen. I'm average height, but since all the guys I know are abnormally tall I feel pretty short most of the time. One thing that I love about myself is that no matter how much I eat, which is far above the average intake, I never gain weight. Any weight that I do gain goes straight to my thighs, which no one ever sees since all I wear is sweat pants. I have long black hair. That's why my mom named me Raven.

My eyes are still a gorgeous turquoise blue. All virgins's eyes are blue. When you lose your virginity, your eyes lose all color. They turn a deep brown color. In my opinion, both are pretty, but it's so awkward. Like, one day a girl showed up to school with sunglasses on. As if we didn't know what that meant.

But the main thing about my turning sixteen is... Starting today I would begin my search for love. I mean I was already in love, but today was the day I could finally see if it was meant to be. You see, at birth we are all given special necklaces. No one knows where they come from. They aren't like, made in a factory or anything. They say that they are hand crafted by the gods (which I think is bs). They're put in a special box that unlocks when a person turns sixteen. A ceremony is held where it is placed around their neck and it stays there for the rest of their life. Literally. It's impossible to take off. If you cut it off or something, you immediately die. Sick stuff.

You see, the purpose of this is to find the other half of the necklace. Whoever has the other half is said to be your "soulmate". You will automatically feel an attraction for this person, you get married, you live happily ever after. If you can't find your soulmate before you turn 19? You die. Dead where you stand, disintegrate to nothing. I hate this...

Every adult tells me that in the end everyone winds up happy but.. I already love someone. He's seventeen and already has his necklace. He hasn't found his match yet and well.. Today I find out if it's me.

~~~~~~

Soooo if you're reading this... Well, I have a lot of cool stuff planned out for this story if you keep reading it!! I'm sorry if it seems confusing... But it'll make sense later and I'll actually update often so just save this and wait!! Please:) K, I love you :* :*