One

The last couple of days have led me to where I am now, which is walking through the England airport with nothing but the clothes on my back, a small book bag, and about 200 dollars left in my savings account. I guess you could say I was crazy coming into an entirely new country with nothing, but I was done. I needed to escape. I had no idea how much 200 dollars would get me in Euros, but that wasn’t my main concern right now anyways. I knew no one, I had no idea where I was, and I was homeless. I didn’t have any idea where I’d sleep, or when I’d get my next meal. Sure, all of the thoughts racing through my head would freak out any normal person, but I wasn’t normal. I was free. The sliding glass doors opened allowing me to walk through, and as soon as I walked outside, the chilling September air burned my skin like fire. I really should have worn a jacket, I thought as I looked down at my appearance which consisted of black skinny jeans, a t-shirt, and a pair of old converse. Nothing seemed absolutely okay anymore. I was sixteen, nearly seventeen, which reminded me that my birthday was only 6 days away, September 17th to be exact. I also realized that I’d be spending my birthday alone, which saddened me, but I sucked it up and removed the negative thought. My stomach roared begging me for food, but I ignored it. I knew I was hungry, and I knew I needed food. I was going to eat something on the plane, but once I heard the prices I nearly fainted. I imagined everything to be expensive here anyway, and I knew I needed all of the money I could save. My first mission was to get out as many applications as possible, because if I had plans to survive, I needed a place to stay, food to eat, and warmth. I started at the top of the street and went down to every restaurant, store, and anything else I could find filling out application after application in high hopes of some sort of job. I told each of the mangers that I’d be back tomorrow since I didn’t have an address or a phone for them to contact me. By the time I was done it was 7, and I was famished. So much in fact, I felt light headed. I stopped at this small shack, which only had around four customers inside. I decided on a booth in the back not really wanted to have any social interactions with the customers in the front. A young woman a couple years older than me came up to the table and asked me what I’d like to drink. I was trying to save money, so I ordered water seeing that it was free on the menu. She nodded and walked away while I studied the menu. Most of the things weren’t overpriced, but they were still out of my range. I had no idea what minimum wage was here, so I couldn’t really spend money until I knew what kind of income I’d have coming in. At the airport I had taken an old credit card and put the 200 dollars on there, so I wouldn’t have to deal with the euro problem I was facing, and it’d be easier for whoever was taking my money. I ended up deciding on vegetable soup because it was cheap, and since it’d be warm, I hoped it would warm up my still freezing body. I paid the lady and left the shop to then realize the sudden temperature change. It was colder, “great” I mumbled under my breath. I slung the book bag over my shoulder and started walking down the street again. Young party goers were just leaving the pubs, and homeless people, were standing around begging for money. I wondered if that would be me one day. Standing out on the streets begging people to give me money. The thought sounded terrible, but I had no idea what my future would bring me, and the chances of that happening were likely if I didn't get a job soon. I was startled when an elderly man approached me and begged for money. I didn’t have any change, and I could see the emptiness in his heart. I felt terrible. I opened my bag and pulled out a box of granola bars that I had planned to save for emergencies and handed the entire box to the man.

“I don’t have any money, I’m sorry” I watched the man’s eyes widen and he’d look down at the box and then up at me. I could suddenly see a faint light in his old, empty brown eyes and he just smiled.

“Thank you so much” he whispered, and for a moment I thought he’d break down and cry. I suddenly remembered the memories of me being called self-centered, which struck me directly in the heart. I really wasn’t. I smiled back at him and continued on my way. I began to get fatigued and my walking slowed down. I figured I’d just crash at the hospital and no one would notice me. I walked in and managed to avoid the woman behind the desk from seeing me as I snuck off to the worship room. I was relieved to find out that the room was well heated. I took the blanket I had packed out of the small bag and stretched out on the pew. As I felt the darkness slowly take over, I closed my eyes letting everything around me drift away.