Two

After roaming the streets another hour I came across a 24 hour gym. Luckily membership wasn’t required and I was able to walk right in. I made my way to the locker room, which was empty. I put my things into an empty locker and fell asleep on the bench. When I woke up it was just going on 5:30 and I needed to be at work at 7. I grabbed today’s outfit and stepped into one of the gym showers. Thankfully they supplied shampoo and conditioner, because I forgot to buy it when I went shopping. After cleansing my body, I quickly dressed, pulled my hair up into a pony tail, packed all of my things up and was on my way. Luckily the walk wasn’t too far, so I managed to show up around 6:30. I grabbed a quick, cheap meal from one of the outdoor vending machines before starting my first day at work.

       It had been a week since I started working at Starbucks, and it was hell. It wasn’t the costumers, because I rarely ever got a rude customer, and if I did, I just got over it. It was Bruce. He was a jerk, always nagging about every little thing. And when he wasn’t a jerk, he was a creep. He’d go around flirting with me and the other young girls, or give us compliments, which really just annoyed us instead of flattering us. If I wasn’t in need of money, I would have quit days ago. Today had been the worse by far. One of the girls turned on the blender without the lid, which caused everything inside of it to go all over me. Then Bruce yelled at me because he thought I made the mess. After that, I had a young group of kids come in and insult me, which I was used to, but it still hurt. It had just been one bad event after another. I was famished, exhausted, and miserable. Did I forget to mention that today was my birthday? I just wanted the day to be over. By the time work shift was over, I had a terrible headache and felt like I was going to pass out. I collected my check from Bruce and he was nice enough to give me a bonus since it was my birthday. At first it made me happier, but then I realized he was just doing it to get on my good side and try to get with me, so I just turned sour again. Even though I knew the real meaning, I still thanked him and left. I was really looking forward to treating myself to a nice meal instead of the vegetable soup for my birthday, but I just wasn’t in the mood. I didn’t want to celebrate. Celebrating wouldn’t have been the same without someone else anyway. I was honestly at my lowest point since I had arrived in England. I had no hope, and I was so sad I wanted to cry, but I couldn’t. There was no point. There would be no one there to comfort me, or make me feel safe. I was shocked when I saw a sign outside of the window of old, broken down flats.

“Old, cheap flats for rent!” it read in bright red letters. Below it was how much it’d cost a month, and I realized something.. I could afford that. I felt joy, hope, and happiness boil inside of me and I ran inside as fast as I could. Luckily there wasn’t a line; I went directly up to the counter. Before I knew it, I was walking into the door of my new flat. I didn’t care that it looked terrible and didn’t smell too great either. It was my flat, my own personal place to live. I worked for it. The previous owners left behind a bed, and of course it had the basics (fridge, shower, etc). I didn’t need a couch or a television at the time anyway. I knew I’d eventually buy one, but it would take me some time to save up the money. I really wanted to crawl up into my bed and never wake up, but I knew I had things to do if I wanted to live somewhere that wouldn't gross me out everytime I walked in.

By the time I got back from the store it was raining outside so I was completely soaked when I walked into the flat. Along the way I had picked up pyjamas seeing now that I had a bed. The flat wasn't very big, but I still thought it was perfect. I went into the bedroom and ripped off the sheets and replaced them with a nice light blue shaded cloth. Luckily the carpets weren't too messed up, because chances are I'd never have the money to replace them with the income I had. I decorated the bedroom the best I could and then I went into the bathroom. I cleaned the entire room from head to toe before going into the livingroom and kitchen. That by far was the worse room, the walls were ruined and the kitchen was covered in dust. I opened the paint can and began my mission. When I was finished the living room was now a nice coral color and the kitchen was spotless. I had bought food, so I wouldn't have to suffer having vegetable soup every night. I was so tired from working all week that I just flopped down on my bed and dozed off within seconds. I really hoped that tomorrow would be better. I surely needed a miracle. 

           ▸ Vote! -  Comment! -  Tell your friends! ◂