Shitty, but not that much

Returning to Julia, seeing her again, that was never an option. She was in Melbourne with her parents and I couldn't intrude on someone's family who barely remembered me. Sure, I missed her, and I missed her back at that stupid park too but at least there I had Delilah. Here, I had no one. No one to draw me as a Victoria's Secret model and no one to draw me as the man who wore tuxedos all the time and had a thin mustache and a scar that covered his tired eyes. And they were both so smart, so here, in Boulder, I work as a substitute teacher and I teach kids like Brian Goodwin. Brian, oh Brian, the poor kid, the guilt Delilah experienced for not telling the ranger about him was part of the reason we hadn't visited each other. That, and from the first time I saw her she looked far too much like Julia. Their brown hair was almost the same beautiful caramel shade of brown. I can still remember seeing her face to face for the first time, it was at the debrief.

"Oh well, there's something to add to the list of things I know about you, white, wears shorts, and, lord that beard." I turned to see a woman who looked shockingly like Julia. "Jesus, Hank, I knew, somehow, you were lying about that scar on your eye." I laughed, "Delilah?" I asked, raising my brow. She nodded, but despite her happy expression her eyes looked tired, almost how I had described my own.

Today, however was Delilah's monthly letter, I had stopped receiving phone calls from Julia, which, to be honest, was probably for the best. After our debrief, Delilah and I actually spoke about what we would do when we got home, realistically. I talked about the memoir I had started and we joked for a while about the movie version we had spoken about during the evacuation process. That same memoir which I eventually gave up on. Delilah, in the end, decided to work as an editor at a publishing company, which I was intending to send my memoir to, however, that didn't work out. Anyway, as usual her letter came addressed to Henry but written to Hank, the drastic difference however was a, that Delilah hadn't covered the page in red pen and editing marks and b, the fact that her letter only contained but a few sentences.

Dear Hank,

This week was interesting, I called Javier, as I've been wanting to, but it didn't end well, he came to visit and he kinda got me fired from my job. Also, called Animal Protective services and got my dog taken away so my life is a fucking mess. Well anyway, I'm coming to visit on May 2nd. Possibly permanently. Better have a great couch. pick me up from the airport.8 am, see you there.

-D

The second I finished reading said letter I grabbed my keys and grabbed about a pound of granola bars and two coffees. Shit. it was May 2nd. And it was noon. Delilah was going to kill me. And so the drive began through the newly flowering trees of Boulder and through the surrounding towns into the nearest Colorado airport. Upon arrival I headed to the nearest customer service desk, where they sent out about 5 security guards to go and find her. About another hour later she came into the office and I laughed at her annoyed expression and tangled hair. "Nice locks, fall asleep on the plane?" I asked, handing her a new coffee I purchased upon realizing the previous one had gotten cold. "What the fuck Hank?" She asked, taking a sip. "Sorry, D, just got your letter about two hours ago, come one, we'll get something to eat and I'll make up the couch for you."