Chapter 18

I finish explaining our plan to Oliver and Jane. Thankfully, none of the gang members decided to come after us. We overhear them rounding up Jack and Mr. and Mrs. Williams in the living room from the broken window at the back of the house.

"So..." I whisper to Oliver and Jane, "are you going to help me or not?"

Oliver raises his hand to his face and shakes his head.

"You honestly can't expect this plan to work, right?"

"It's worth a try. I like to think of myself as a lucky kind of guy."

"Oh really..." Oliver says sarcastically. "Well let's hope your luck doesn't get us all killed."

"So, you're in?"

"Yeah. Sure. Why not. It's a better way to go out than being eaten by zombies."

"True, true. What about you Jane?"

"I...I don't know..."

"Well we need to know now. Who knows what will happen to them if we wait any longer."

"I know! I know! I just - Ugh! Why did this have to happen?!" Jane groans.

"Who knows? Are you coming with us or not?"

Jane sighs. "I'm so going to regret this..."

"Great! Let's move."

We walk over to a window well connected to the side of my house. I lift up the metal cover as quietly as I can and rest it on the grass. The three of us climb down into the window well and I open the window leading into the basement. Oliver and I raise our bats as Jane pulls out her knife from her backpack. I lead the three of us towards the stairs through the darkness, not daring to turn on the lights as we reach the stairs at the opposite end of the basement. We quietly tiptoe up the stairs to the door.

"Are you guys ready?" I whisper.

"As ready as I'll ever be..." Jack mumbles.

"Same here," Jane replies softly.

"Ok. On my mark. Three. Two. One. Go!"

I slowly turn the handle to the door and open it. The door handle turning makes a bit of noise - which I expected. The talking in the living room goes quiet for a moment.

"Hey! Who's there?!"

"Hammer, go check it out."

Loud footsteps echo across the floor as someone approaches the door. The three of us step out from the basement and raise our weapons as we hide against the wall immediately to our left, shielding us from view of the gang members and our captured friends. A few seconds later, a man walks around the corner and we strike.

Jack and I lunge forward at the man. I grab the handgun in his right hand and shove it down and try to yank it out of his hand. Jack grabs the man on the other side and starts pulling him towards the stairs as Jane raises her knife. The man doesn't notice her and struggles to free himself from Jack and maintain his grip on his gun. He steps towards the stairs and shoves Jack back from him. Jane charges forward and shoves her knife into the man's stomach. The man screams in pain and shoots his handgun into the floor. I manage to pry the gun from the man's hands and Jack and I grab the man and push him towards the stairs. We turn him around and Jane plants a foot into the man's stomach, pulling her knife out of him and kicking him down the stairs. The man cries out in pain as he falls, eventually going silent as he slams into the wall at the bottom of the stairs.

"What the hell?! Hammer!"

The three of us stand at the top of the stairs in silence, staring down at the body of the gang member we possibly just killed.

"Hammer! Answer me dammit!"

Hammer doesn't respond - for obvious reasons. The man calling out to him, who I assume is the leader of the group, waits for a moment before swearing.

"Mike! Go check it out!"

"But-"

"Do it! NOW!"

We stand still and listen as the other gang member starts walking towards us. We grip our weapons tighter in anticipation of our next fight when gunshots suddenly ring out from around the corner.

"Shit! Agh!!!"

There are one or two more gunshots, and then silence. I slowly peak around the corner and see Mr. Williams standing up with his revolver in his hand.

"Stay back!" he shouts, and I hide behind the wall again.

There are three more gunshots and then silence again.

"Ok! You can come out!"

The three of us glance around the corner and spot three bodies on the ground in front of Mr. Williams. Blood oozes out of the bodies, staining the white carpet that they rest on. We approach and check to make sure that the three men are dead. We don't feel any of their pulses, though a bullet to the head tends to have that kind of effect.

"Are you three alright?" Mr. Williams asks with worry, looking us over for wounds.

"We're fine...somehow," Oliver responds.

"It looks like my luck hasn't run out just yet," I say with a nervous laugh.

Mr. Williams smacks me upside the head.

"You idiots!!!" he scolds. "What the hell were you all thinking?!!!"

"WE wanted to save you!" I reply.

"No, YOU wanted to risk your life to save them," Oliver says, annoyed. "We didn't want to have your blood on our hands."

"You could have gotten yourselves killed!" Mr. Williams roars.

"But we didn't!" I protest. "I don't let my friends get killed!"

"There's no point if you get killed in the process! How do you think we would have felt if you died trying to save us?!"

"Sheesh! I'm sorry for saving you! Maybe I should have just LEFT YOU TO DIE!"

"Enough! What's done is done. Thank you for what you have done," Mr. Williams says with a sigh. "Now then, I don't know about you, but I don't think we can stay here any longer. Who knows if there will be any more of them and when they will be coming to check up on their friends. We need to leave immediately."

"Agreed." Jack stands up and steps forward.

"I don't want to be here any longer," Jane says. "Let's grab our things and get the hell out of here."

"Sounds good to me," Oliver replies.

We gather our backpacks and weapons, grab a few snacks, and pile into the Williams' van.

"So then, are we heading straight to Jane's house or are we stopping somewhere else on the way?" Mr. Williams asks.

"Let's stop at Walgreen's and grab some medicine and supplies," Jack says. "Hopefully it's not as looted as Walmart."

"Alright. To Walgreen's it is."

---

Hey! Did you enjoy reading this chapter? If so, please give it a vote (the star icon) and add this story to your library if you haven't already! Follow me for updates/notifications and feel free to leave any questions, comments, and critiques for this chapter in the comment section! Thanks for reading!