s i x t e e n

"Where are we going?" Jack asked.

"You'll see," Mark said, taking Jack's hand in his and leaving McLoughlin's house, taking him to his car.

Jack laughed and got into the passengers seat of Mark's car, and then they were off. Minutes later, they were out of town.

"I'm taking you on a date," Mark clarified after a few more minutes of driving.

"Oh?" Jack asked.

"Yeah," Mark looked over at Jack for a couple of seconds with a smile before diverting his attention back to the road.

"Well, thank you," Jack said, smiling, taking Mark's hand that wasn't on the steering wheel.

"You're welcome, Jackaboy," Mark smiled, rubbing circles on Jack's hand with his thumb.

They just sat in silence for a bit, with the radio playing on a low volume and the soft hums of either Jack or Mark depending on the song.

About ten minutes later, Mark said something again, "We're going to that park that we went to, where we first kissed. You know the one."

"Oh," Jack said, "That sounds nice."

"I'm just sick of how you've been getting treated; how we've been getting treated. It's not right that we - mostly you - get bullied because of stupid reasons. I fucking hate them. They're horrible people," Mark said.

"They're scum on the earth," Jack said, "But I've grown numb to it. Sometimes it just gets to me, and I can't help but break down."

"Yeah," Mark said, "But you don't deserve."

"You don't either," Jack said, "Just because of your sexuality. They have more reason to bully me than you, especially since you were their friend for so long. I've never been friends with them, and my only friend is angry at me for no fucking reason. I deserve it. You don't. I deserve all of it. Every single name they call me, every time they physically hurt me, I deserve every little thing."

"Don't talk like that," Mark said sternly, keeping his eyes focused on the road ahead of him, not wanting to miss the turn that would soon be up ahead, "You do not."

"It's true," Jack said, "I do too."

Mark didn't answer as he didn't want to argue with Jack.

A few more minutes passed before they were finally at the park. Mark turned off the car and put his keys in his pocket. He got out of the car and as did Jack.

They both reached out for each other's hands at the same time. Jack let out a smile giggle at the gesture from both of them.

They went to the open area of grass they once went to, sitting together.

"I'm so happy you gave me a chance," Mark said, laying down on the grass.

Jack stayed sitting where he was, "I'm glad I did too."

"But hey, what happened with Emmett?"

Jack sighed, "Erm... well..."

"If you don't wanna talk about it, that's alright," Mark said.

"No, I'll tell you," Jack said, "So, before you and I started talking and everything, he wanted me to give you a chance, 'cause he knew about you being that person on kik. Then when we started dating, Emmett got all pissy with me because I didn't tell him at first; because I didn't tell anyone. When I was giving you the cold shoulder, he got mad at me again. I just... I can't do anything right. Now he's not talking to me at all and I... I don't know."