Facing fear

We were moving fast, but my senses were on full alert. I kept thinking of Nelly and the cubs, keeping my fear at bay at the same time. We were in movement for more than an hour, but I could still see how much power Alexander put into his run. As an Alpha he was powerful and fast anyway and I hardly managed to keep up at his pace. But I knew his internal fight had remained and couldn’t get myself to make a sound. Only when I noticed the Alphas thick smell, I immediately stopped. Alexander hadn’t noticed it yet, probably too consumed in his own fight, but he stopped when I did. He looked at me, his eyes questioning. I held my nose up high and took a deep breath, hoping he'd understand. When he finally did we went back a few meters to transform, then made our way towards the loud voices.

I knew the Alpha could smell me before I had sensed him, but only when we reached the clearing the heated discussion faded. There were five leopards standing agitated in front of three wolfs.

“You wanted to see me.” I had been reassured by Alexander’s presence and somehow managed to speak the words, with no hesitation or fear ringing in them.

“I need to talk to you.” He said, looking at me in disgust.

“We have nothing to talk about, whatever you want to say, you will have to say it in front of all of us.” He growled at me deeply, not used to me standing up to him.

“You will come with me!” It was a command, but I managed to hesitate. I knew Alexander didn’t want me to go, but kept quiet, waiting for his father’s decision. Henry nodded curtly and I walked unwillingly after the Alpha. My heart pounding in my chest, but I tried to keep my mind on my task. Keep cool and make sure to get out of this alive.

We had only gone a few meters before he abruptly turned and pushed me against the nearest tree.

“How dare you! Run to our enemy and throw yourself around that jerk’s neck. You are still mine and you know what we do with traitors.” He put one hand onto my neck and then his gaze fell upon the skin between my shoulder and neck. I trembled in fear, knowing that it was only one of the parts of a claim, but I held it back and concentrated on the closer danger.

He lay one hand on my shoulder and made me wince at his touch, as a reaction I felt worry crawl up my heart that wasn’t mine. Trying to move out of the Alphas grip I shifted to the right. He let go a second later and instead got a hold of my arm.

“We are leaving!” He said, pulling me after him.

"No!” I cried in an outburst of fear, pulling my arm out of his grip and backing away. I fell over a large root, trying to move faster than I could and stayed on the floor.

I suddenly felt Alexander behind me, looking at the Alpha constantly as he kneeled down to me. One arm around my waist, the other holding onto my arm, he pulled me up to my feet. His touch was soothing and I managed to put my fear back to where it belonged, to the core of my heart. The other leopard’s came to stand around us in a protective circle. For a second no one moved a muscle.

“She belongs to me.” The Alpha growled.

“Not anymore.” Alexander spoke quietly, still holding me tightly.

“My father marked her years ago, didn’t she tell you?” The Alpha said, smiling as he knew I hadn’t.

“Where is that mark supposed to be?” Alexander asked, not falling for the Alphas back thought.

“It’s on her right shoulder, I’ve seen the tattoo.”

Alexander gently turned me to face him, pulling the fabric of my shirt down and presenting my bare skin. The ornaments on my back were well seen, but other than that one could not make out any markings.