I: Left behind

My breathing quickens, my heart racing when I see the crowds of people: roaming the streets like swarms. You can do this.

Hands fumbling, I slide out my guitar and test it, running my fingers over the strings. I love the feeling of the cold wire against my fingertips, the smooth surface of the cedar. Perfect. Thoughts racing through my mind, as I sit down, nudging out my guitar case as a suggestion. Propping my guitar on my knee, I begin to play, keeping my eyes trained on the guitar as I pluck the strings. Words escaping my throat, words I’d rehearsed multiple times for this moment.

I know I’ve done wrong, left your heart torn, is that what devils do? I took you so low, where only fools go, I shook the angel in you.” The first couple of sentences catching the attention of passer-bys. They stop, pausing at my voice. “Now I’m rising from my crimes, rising up to you. Feel with all the strength I found- there’s nothing I can’t do!” Taking a deep breath to prepare myself for the chorus, my voice rising up to meet the power of the song. Now, a crowd of people have gathered, intrigued by my singing. I hope.

I need to know now, know now, can you love me again? I need to know now, know now, can you love me again?” Repeating the chorus is the hardest. Aware of the attention I’m getting, my cheeks flush, and I keep my head down, legs crossed across each other. “It’s unforgivable, I stole and burnt your soul, is that what demons do? They rule the worst of me, destroy everything, they bring down angels like you. Now I’m rising from the ground, rising up to you. Feel with all the strength I found, there's nothing I can’t do!” I give it my all, forcing the strength out of me. My eyes flickering over the crowd of people; parents with young children, faint smiles on their faces, people of all shapes and sizes, come to hear my voice.

I need to know now, know now, can you love me again? I need to know now, know now, can you love me again? I need to know now, know now, can you love me again? I need to know now, know now, can you love me again? I need to know now, know now, can you love me again?

I told you once again, I can't this again, do this again, oh lord. I told you once again, do this again, do this again, oh no.” Singing through the entire song takes all of my willpower. But I look at my guitar case, slowly filling up with coins, and I think of that. Think of the music.

When I’m done, applause breaks out, echoing in the streets. I smile my thanks, even waving at a few friendly people.

“Encore!” Shouts someone, and I flush again. But before I can reply, my eye hooks onto someone. A someone with blonde hair. And blue eyes. And the same, inquisitive expression. Niall?

My world crashes down on me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hardly dare to breathe. Is it him? I daren’t say anything until I can find some form of confirmation. Then, I get it. His shy smile. Telling me everything at once and nothing at the same time.  

I tilt my head towards a bench, far away from the crowd, signalling for him to follow.

Struggling to put my guitar into my guitar case, now heavy with coins, I manage to, standing up to leave. As I go, there’s a sigh of disappointment from the crowd. I give people a shrug, still smiling.

Once we’re away from the bustle of people, I spin on him, dropping my guitar case to the ground. “What are you doing here?” I demand, arms crossed. His smile fades, knowing I’m not going to be welcoming. Why would I? It’s been seven years.

“Laura, I-“

No.” I prod his chest, pronouncing every word with a prod. “What-are-you-doing here?”