Prolouge

It all started on a beach.
The sun was a bright circle in the center of the clear blue sky, casting shadows off the pier into the glittering gold sand.
I sat on one of the old wooden benches that lined the pier,overlooking the beach front. Children on vacation with their family ran across the sand, tossing beach balls or running into the crashing waves as they rolled onto shore. My attention stopped on a little girl and boy who were playing in the water.
The girl was sat cross-legged in a spot in the sand where the water just barely lapped at her toes. Her head was bent down, her tousled hair hanging over her eyes as she poked in the wet sand, looking for the tiny seashells that were littered across the beach.
The boy kept running into the ocean, letting the wave crash into him as he hit the wall of water. Water sprayed in the directions surrounding him, just barely getting the girl.
She looked up every time, quietly watching as the boy emerged with the same huge grin. His sopping wet hair stuck to his forehead in odd ways, but you couldn't help but look at his smile, just as the girl did.
After a few more times, the boy decided to join the girl. He pushed his hair off his forehead as he bounced over to the girl. She looked up and held out her hand to him.
And then I was the boy.
Looking down at the small hand holding the little green shell sitting in the center of her palm.
I glanced up, wondering who this girl was. My eyes followed up her freckle speckled arm until it reached her face. Framed by the tousled, chestnut colored hair, with a small, narrow nose centered between a pair of bright green eyes.
It was her.
It was the same girl from every one of my dreams.
Just like this one.

Every night, it was the same thing. I would fall asleep, and there she'd be.
Sometimes, it'd be like last night, where the girl would be there, but not at first. She'd just show up. Sometimes we were kids, sometimes adults, sometimes at the age we'd be right now.
I didn't know who she was. And I still don't know who she is. I've guessed, and hoped it was one of my friends or someone I had already met, but no one knew of the girl I dreamt of. There were girls I knew that were like that, who looked like that, but as far as I knew, they weren't her. They didn't have that same feeling that I had whenever I saw her in a dream.
Maybe I just hadn't discovered that feeling yet.
But one day, I'll find her.
My dream girl.