Seven

Wednesday, May 25th, 1925.

"Dear Darling,

First off, I apologize for not writing. But here's why: despite our nonsuspicious interviews with the possible jacket owners, no other evidence points the investigation in a different direction. This landed me up to the neck with paperwork, background checks, records, and anything that Mr. Kramer thinks that we might have missed the first time we went through them. Since Mr. Silverman was Bart and my assignment, together we dug deeper into his file. We found that Mr. Silverman had quite the backstory. He was an orphan, and went to a strict military school back as a child, but somehow escaped and was living by himself until he was married the first time. Throughout his years, he was married twice, but both wives left him, which caused him to begin living alone again in 1906. He has no recorded relatives in the city or state listed, which was interesting because Mr. Silverman said his brother was in town. Overall, Bart and I deemed him quite peculiar.

After we learned all there was to know about Mr. Silverman, everyone in the office began brainstorming why the killer began killing. I suspected whoever it was was tired of being treated like a piece of replaceable scum. First, Tracy let them go, then Hamilton refused to give them a little extra money, so they probably just felt a little enraged about the unfairness of it all, and their anger got the best of them. My guess is that they killed Tracy McAllister, drunk no doubt, and felt too good to stop there. As a killer, they were empowered, and they were respected and feared, which was refreshing. And so, the next time they got a chance-more like the next time they hit up a speakeasy-Hamilton Memphis was gone as well.

Together, the office deemed the next step as finding where young Viola Franklin got mixed up in the Black Butcher's life. I bet she did something to get him mad, because even a murderer has reasons to kill, just like with Miss Tracy McAllister and Mr. Hamilton Memphis. Tomorrow I plan to check all the records on Viola with the other men. Also, if I have time, I think I will pay another visitor Sam at his house, in case Bart and I missed anything the first time.

I feel that the answer is right under our noses and we just don't see it. But don't fear, darling, I'll get it eventually.

With love,

Charles.