Chapter 34

[Edited]

~~~*Jordan's P.O.V.*~~~

All of a sudden I felt sympathy for River.

Ethan abused her? Is that why she was so jumpy those first days that she was with me? This poor girl has been through a lot and she's what, 17 now? What he is doing is wrong. I cant let this go on any longer.

I walked over and pushed the gun away from River's head, stepping in between the two as I did. I looked up at Ethan. He wore a confused look on his face but the quickly changed into anger.

"Get out of my way." he growled.

"What you're doing is wrong and you know it. Why do you have to ruin someone else's life to please your own?" I asked in a flat voice.

"She really does deserve to die." he said, pushing past me. I spun myself around as he put the gun up to River. She had a look of defiance written on her face. I knew this was stupid, but, she deserved to live.

I launched myself in front of River as Ethan pulled the trigger. I felt a sharp, excruciating pain in my stomach. I fell to the floor, my eyesight blurred. I could barley make out what was being yelled. I knew what I had done had costed me my life, but it was well worth it.

~~~*River's P.O.V.*~~~

As Ethan pulled the trigger Jordan flung himself in front of me. He fell to the floor, blood soaking into his shirt. I screamed and fell to the ground next to him. Picking his head up and laying it across my lap after I did. His breathing was very shallow but his eyes were still open.

All of a sudden the door to the bedroom burst open. James and Tom came flying in, tackling Ethan to the ground. Tucker and Sonja stood in the doorway. I looked back down at Jordan. He was looking up at me.

"I-im so sorry River." he whispered.

"There's no need to apologize Jordan. You saved my life." I replied.

"Just remember, someone will always care and protect you." he said. His eyes straying off to Tom, James, Tucker and Sonja. Then he looked back at me and closed his eyes. His breathing had stopped. The tears were coming down my face now.

"No, no, no. Oh please no." I whispered. I laid my head on Jordan's still chest. After a few minutes, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked back to see Tom squatting behind me. I let Jordan's body slide off my lap. I fell back into Tom's arms and cried. I don't know how long we stayed like that, but it felt like forever.

I heard sirens which snapped me out of the state I was in. I looked over to the other side of the room to see Ethan laying on the floor, seemingly knocked out.

At last he would finally get what he deserves.