CHAPTER 4

Sunday, 24/05/2009 ... in Coimbatore, India

Ajay decided to go to Isha's bookshop again that morning. When he arrived there, wearing a grey tee with black trousers, he saw a printed sign on the door.

HELPERS WANTED

Monday to Sunday

8.00 am to 10.00 pm

Ajay grinned as he entered the shop. Isha was nowhere in sight. He walked down the aisle looking at all the shelves of books until he found Isha, wearing a burgundy coloured salwar suit, trying to push one of the shelves towards the back of the shop. He held the other end of the shelf and helped her push it to the back. Isha looked up at him, noticing that someone had helped her to easily move the heavy shelf.

"Why have you come again?" asked Isha.

"To help you. You've kept a sign that helpers are wanted," explained Ajay as he followed Isha towards the front of the shop.

She shook her head as she said, "My shop is not the place for you." She handed him a flyer and said, "This is."

The flyer was an invitation for any musician who could perform in the Lahari Resort's outdoor restaurant every night from 7pm to 10pm.

***

Later that morning, Ajay was standing in the office of the manager of the Lahari Resort, playing a tune on his guitar.

The manager smiled, "Beautiful. You are very good. But I can't offer you a job here."

"Why, sir?" asked Ajay, puzzled.

"I only need an average musician to perform here for just three hours every night. I think it is better for you to become a musician of your own, selling your own albums. That way, you will earn more than double of the salary you will ever get here. I can't spoil your life by offering you this job."

"So, you are thinking about my future. But I'm thinking about your hotel's future, sir. I'm sure you can give me a job here until I can get a sponsor to start composing albums on my own, right sir?" asked Ajay.

***

Few minutes later, Ajay walked out of the Lahari Resort; his face as grave as ever. Priya, wearing a lime green coloured salwar suit, was waiting for him outside.

"What happened?" asked Priya in concern, upon noticing him.

"I don't know how to face Dad," stated Ajay, solemnly.

"They didn't accept you, is it?" Priya's face fell.

"From now on, I can't go around with you anywhere at night." Ajay still appeared very serious. "I won't borrow your money anymore."

"So, you got the job?" Priya looked up at him elated.

"Yes, thanks to Isha!" Ajay finally grinned.

Priya stopped in her tracks and glared at him, agape. "I've been with you all these years. You express your pains to me, but you thank her?"

"When I don't thank myself in the mirror, then how can I thank you? You're like me in the mirror."

Priya grinned as she gave him a playful punch on the arm and they continued walking home.

As soon as Ajay was in the privacy of his room at home, he took his mobile phone and texted Isha.

"Thanks! I got the job because of you."