oo2. Anger, Lust...

Jackson Bellefonte knew it was wrong to lust after another man's wife, especially if she was married to his brother. Yet here he was staring out the window watching her. As Isla strapped the kids into their stroller, the warm breeze caused her long dirty blond hair to dance about her face. She gathered the strands into a ponytail, pulled a green hair tie from her wrist, and twisted it around the wild curls. She was beautiful in the morning light.

Most of the time he pushed the misplaced affection out of his mind, but sometimes he couldn't fight it. The memory of the one kiss they'd shared stabbed his heart like a hot spike. He knew it meant nothing to her. Circumstances had caused a weak moment. After his brother had broken up with her after he realized he would really never walk again, she'd felt rejected. Jackson had wanted to offer comfort, but then his lips were on hers and instead of pushing him away, she'd clutched tighter. Thankfully, he'd come to his senses before making a bigger fool of himself.

She'd been gracious about it, claiming some of the fault. Because she'd forgiven him, their friendship remained intact. Thank God. If she'd been weird about it, Ian would have noticed, and that would have been a disaster.

His brother rolled out to meet his family and did a wheelie with his chair. The little girls giggled with pure joy. Jackson laughed, too.

Mom walked to join him. "What are you laughing about?"

"Ian, Isla and the girls. Looks like they're going for a stroll."

"You should go, too. Your dad just got into the shower, so he won't be ready for at least thirty minutes."

"Nah, it's their family time."

"I'm sure they wouldn't consider it an intrusion. Did you ever think Ian could be this happy again?"

"No. It's crazy, but I'm a little envious." Jackson walked away from the window. No need to torture himself. Regardless of the attraction, he'd never act on it. Not that Isla would. She loved Ian. Always had. Always would. Maybe it wasn't that he wanted her as much as he needed someone to love him the way she did Ian. His mom's voice brought him back to reality.

"No need for that. You have Halley Rae."

Not for long. Perhaps if he broke the news to Mom, it would be good practice for the speech he'd rehearsed for Halley. "I thought I was falling in love with her, but lately, I've seen a side of her I don't like. She's clingy. Gets all paranoid when I'm around other women. She's too damn insecure, and I'm tired of dealing with it."

Mom pulled her face tight. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, well it is what it is." If his soon to be ex-girlfriend was as understanding, he'd be home free. Who was he kidding? He just hoped she didn't go psycho Fatal Attraction bunny boiler on him.

"I worry about you."

He expected as much. Mom's concern over his love life was normal.

"I'm afraid the breakup with Julie affected you to where you'll never trust women again."

He plopped onto a bar stool and rested an arm on the countertop. "We've been over this. That was years ago. I've recovered."

She leaned forward and widened her eyes. "Have you?"

"Yeah." He offered his best smile. "And I learned something. Falling out of love takes longer than falling in. At first it hurt like hell. But I haven't thought about her since the last time you mentioned this subject. So don't waste your worry."

"Not possible. It clearly states in the Mom Manual I'm required to worry over all things concerning my children."

He strolled around the counter and pulled her into a hug. "Yeah. You've got the hardest job in the world, and you're great at it. That's my problem. I'm waiting for a woman like you."