Chapter 26: Realization

Work at the café went as uneventful as expected. People seemed a little nicer today than you remembered and even a few regulars dropped in, saying that they were glad to see your smiling face again. This time it wasn't fake.

You were getting into the swing of things again and had already mastered the Coffee Machine.

"Your coffees taste amazing!" Janice had praised after sipping at a FrappaMint Twist, one of your original blends. It was like a regular Frappuccino, but with mint chocolate thrown in. When just the right amount was put in, it tasted pretty good. "You've gotta show me how you do it someday!"

That had made you proud of your creations and a little more bold, offering them as good choices among the house blends when people asked you about it.

"How about a Sally Sue?" an elderly woman asked you, smiling brightly when you walked up to her table.

"Of course," you said, jotting it down. It was a special tea with peppermint in it, but wasn't on the menu and you'd never seen the woman before. "How did you know about it, if you don't mind my asking?"

"A friend of mine came here yesterday and ordered one to try something new. She said that she loved it and that I had to try it so here I am."

You couldn't help the blossom of pride that bloomed within your heart. Word was spreading! Maybe that meant greater tips and maybe a promotion even, but you'd never get off the diner floor. You loved interacting with the people too much for that.

"Coming right up," you said with a genuine smile. "I'll be back in a jiffy and you can tell me what else you'd like. Take your time though, we have lots of good choices."

And you walked away.

"You look awfully happy," said a voice playfully. It was your favorite voice to hear, one that brightened your day, even when it was at its bleakest.

"Mark!" you chirped, waving your hand with a bright, cheerful smile. "Nice to see you here in the daylight hours!"

"I figured I needed to get out, see a little sun, talk to my favorite girl," he waggled his eyebrows before winking and you couldn't help but laugh. It'd been a long time since it was so easy for you to laugh.

"Save the flirtations for Janice, Mark," you teased, smacking him in the shoulder with the palm of your hand gently as you passed by and plucked a cup from a dispenser and began on the tea.

"Aw, c'mon," he pleaded, eyes slyly beseeching. "You're the only one who laughs at my jokes!"

Rolling your eyes, you sighed.

"Go ahead." But he'd already began.

"I have a question, miss."

"Yes?" you prompted in return.

"Could you take your clothes off for me? I'd like to see how an angle hides their wings."

You laughed again, placing a lid over the warm, not hot, tea.

"That's so sweet," you said with a scoff, "but nasty at the same time."

"I am the best," he said smugly, tugging on his shirt like he was popping a pair of suspenders.

"That you are, Mark. That you are," you joked in reply.

You headed back over to the elderly woman's table before hearing a gasp sound from behind you.

"Mrs. Cartwright?!"

The spectacled woman looked up, her eyes widening in surprise as she spotted the familiar, energetic floof of brown hair come bouncing his way around you.

"I haven't seen you in forever! You look good considering all the hell I put you through!"

An amused chuckle escaped the woman's throat and she shook her head at the YouTuber.

"Oh, come now, Mark. You weren't that bad."

"I was the monster every teacher warned you about, though. I'm pretty sure they checked for me under their beds."

"And you were a handful, yes, but nothing I couldn't handle."

He laughed lightly and scratched the back of his head sheepishly as you handed the Sally Sue to Mrs. Cartwright.

"Yeah, I was a bit of a numskull back then," he admitted.

"Oh, thank you dear," she said, gratefully taking the drink and taking a sip. "My, my, this is delicious! Gertrude wasn't kidding when she said that these were simply sublime!"

"Thank you," you responded modestly. "It's just a simple tea with peppermint in it."

"But I'm sure that no one can make it like you though," she assured. "This will be all for me. I only wanted to try out this high esteemed tea, and rightfully so. It's delicious! Did you make this, young lady?"

"I did," you replied honestly.

"You've got a gift, my dear. We all have something that's special to us. I have teaching."

"I have gaming," Mark chimed in.

"And I have cooking," you finished with a smile.

Today seemed perfect. People were wonderful, you were doing what you loved, and Mark was there to make it all seem better. How could you ask for more? What more could you ask for? You were slowly getting your life back, building up your new one as you took it day after day, step after step, one foot in front of the other. Now you felt more hopeful than you ever had before. You felt complete, almost, but one thing was missing.

You looked over at Mark as he said something else that caused his old teacher to grin and laugh once more and you realized it was him. He was the cause of it all. He was the reason why you were so happy, why you were still here, why you'd learn to love again because... you loved him.