Chapter 3: What Cara Mia Means

The woman continued towards the road while the man stopped to look at Chell. 

"My dear. It means "my dear." May i ask why?" The man asked.

"It's important. I need to know what someone said to me once." She muttered for a minute trying to remember other things the turrets had said. "La mia b-b...ambina bambina cara!"

"My dear child"

"What else?" She questioned, digging deep into her memory. 

"I'm sorry ma'am. I need to go now, but I'm sure that someone else can help you."

She nodded as he ran back to his wife. She slumped down on the companion cube thinking about what she was just told. Why would GLaDOS say such nice things? Why would she say "my dear?" or anything that sweet. She hated Chell. Even after Wheatley took over and they became "Friends," she still hated her. Or... Did she? Why else would she say that? 

After all, she did get her human memory back. She remembered that she was Caroline. She started being nicer to Chell once she began remembering. That couldn't be a coincidence. Chell doesn't believe in coincidence. 

She knew that she was at Aperture for a reason. She knew that she had been kept alive and brought back to the facility after the first time after she killed GLaDOS. After the explosion that shut down the facility GLaDOS couldn't have brought her back. She was dead or at least in a death life state. But someone must have kept her alive and if it wasn't GLaDOS, it was someone else? 

Could it have been Caroline? When the robot brain was disarmed, maybe the human one activated again without knowing it. If that was the case, some part of Caroline was still in there even when GLaDOS deleted her. She was still there in the back of the mind and she liked Chell. She took control. She was the one who said such nice things to Chell. She wrote that song to say goodbye. 

Just then, the most important questions came to Chell's mind. Does she miss Chell? And does Chell miss her? 

She picked up the companion cube and nodded at it. As if it knew where they were going and what danger they would face. They knew what they were in for and just like that, stubborn little Chell was back on her way. Back to Aperture Science Enrichment center.