Chinese Luck-Dragon first-shifting scene

New story! I've had this idea bouncing around for a few days so I decided to go ahead and see what came out. I might run with it, I might not. Still fleshing out the details. Anyway, hope you like it! 

     He hunched over, the pain spreading. He stomped on the gas pedal, speeding along the highway, making his way home.

     The leather binding his wrist squeezed even tighter and the teenager cried out in pain and frustration. He couldn’t do anything until he got home.

     Another car sped up alongside him, an expensive sports car with another teenage boy in the diver seat. The other boy looked over, challenge written in his grinning face.

     He didn’t care about a race; all he wanted was to get home. It was his first transformation and he all he wanted was for another of his kind to be here, to tell him that everything was going exactly as it should. Sometimes things went wrong. People sometimes died. And they couldn’t afford to have any deaths. There weren’t enough of them to go around.

     The other car revved its engine, the boy still looking at him.

     He groaned aloud this time and gritted his teeth together. His hand snuck it’s way to his belt, where a cheap razor knife was stuck in a holster. 

     Suddenly, he heard sirens. A police car, no, three police cars were coming up behind him. The sports car pulled over but he kept going. He had to get home.

     The sirens got louder; the police cars had pulled up alongside side him. One cut him off and began slowing down while the other blocked him to the side. He had no choice but to slow down.

     He pulled over to the side of the road and parked his car. The police officer began coming up to the drivers side door but he opened it. He had to. The pain was too great. His stomach was cramping.

     “Stay in the car!” the officer was shouting, suddenly alarmed. Another officer was running toward them from where the other police cruiser had parked.

     “No, you don’t understand!” he gasped, falling on his side and clawing at the leather bands restricting blood flow to his hand.

     “Get on your stomach and put your hands on your head!” the officer was shouting, gun pointed at him.

     He now knew that getting home would be impossible. There was only one thing left to do. He reached for the blade attached to his hip.

     “I said, put your hands on your head!” the officer screamed at him. The other one was getting out the tazer attached to his utility belt.

     He brought the blade to his wrist and sliced.

     Then a storm of pain and fire ripped through every single nerve ending in his body. He shrieked and contracted his muscles, writhing on the pavement and ripping skin as though it was paper.

     The storm of pain soon ended and he brought the blade back to his wrist, cutting frantically at the leather.

     The pain ripped through his body again, darkening his vision and threatening to make him pass out.

     The pain stopped and suddenly, he was free. The leather binding fell away.

      His body contracted one last time and began to stretch.

     He felt himself explode off the ground, lifting into the air like a rocket. His body was no longer soft and pink; it was giant, tubular, armored.

     He had expected wolf; a full forty percent of them were a natural wolf. If not a wolf, then probably a cat or a bird. But nothing this dramatic.

     Sharp, stiff whiskers came out of his face and two sweeping horns came out of the back of his head. His scales were hard as rocks and fit together tighter than the scales of a fish. They shimmered in the sunlight, becoming as bright and red as blood. His eyes were maroon like wine and his teeth are whiter than porcelain. Five thick claws protruded from the rough pads of each foot.

     He was longer than a whale and thicker than a horse.

     He curved through the sky like a snake and looked down.

     The police officers were pointing their guns at him, firing rapidly, even though their bullets couldn’t reach him. Further back, he could see the teenager who wanted to race standing beside his sports car, the expression on his face priceless.

     He opened his mouth and roared, the sound traveling far and wide.

     Then he turned and headed home.

Move the mouse to the "vote" button and click the left-hand key.

Or G+.

Or Like.

Or tweet.

You know, whatever.

Thank you. :)

©2011 mylifeisaverage (Scott)