Chapter 7

Pic is of Camille

"Chimeras." Dad says, putting a red X on Tracy's and Lucas' pictures. I'm currently at the station in Dad's office, with Malia and Stiles.

"Two dead Chimeras." I say.

"And eight new ones." Malia says.

"So ten in all." Stiles says.

"I'm thinking eleven." Dad says, putting up a picture of Donovan. Stiles and I exchange a look. "Our station tech guys said both the holding cell lock and the cameras might have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You guys said that these guys," Dad says, picking up the Dread Doctors book.

"Dread Doctors." Malia says.

"Are we really calling them that?" Dad asks.

"You think they broke Donovan out?" I ask.

"It's how they got into Eichen House, right?" Dad says.

"Donovan's a Chimera." Malia says.

"Right. But is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?" Dad asks. Stiles and I move away from them. I place a hand on his shoulder, and he looks up at me with a worried look. I give him a forced smile.

"If he is, he's probably dead." Malia says. Stiles shrugs slightly at me, telling me that he's okay with however I want to proceed here. I frown, and tilt my head slightly to the right, then the left, then shrug, telling him that we shouldn't say anything yet. He nods.

"Not until I see a body." Dad says. He glances at us. "You boys okay? You're both uncharacteristically quiet."

"Sorry, I'm, uh, A just trying to figure it out. These are all teenagers, right? Shouldn't we be figuring out why these teens?" Stiles says.

"If these guys, the uh, the Dread Doctors, went through all this trouble with burying them, uh, breaking them out of jail, killing them. These kids weren't chosen randomly." I say.

"They had to have something in common." Malia says, understanding our point. We nod.

"Something that made them right for their experiment." Dad says.

"Something that made them special." Stiles says.

TWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTWTW

I sigh. Scott called a pack meeting after school. Something about reading the Dread Doctors book. I'm currently sitting on the couch, staring at the number Jesse gave me. I'm thinking about the conversation Stiles and I had about it.

FLASHBACK:

"I don't see why you don't just burn it." Stiles says.

"That would be rude. Shouldn't I give this girl a chance? I mean, Jesse went through the trouble of asking her if he can give me her number." I say.

"Who cares? The guy slept with your girlfriend. Multiple times. How do you know he didn't, or isn't, sleeping with this girl? He could be setting you up, Lu." He says. I sigh.

"You think I haven't thought of that? I told you, I haven't completely forgiven him yet. But, why would he try to set me up with his girlfriend? I mean, would you try to set me up with Malia?" I ask.

"Well, no, but-" Stiles says.

"Exactly. You wouldn't. Even if you weren't with her anymore. I don't think Jesse would try to set me up with his ex." I say.

"You THINK he wouldn't. Not the same as you KNOW he wouldn't. I don't like it, Lu. I just don't want you to get hurt again. Took awhile for you to get over the first time. You still aren't over it." Stiles says.