Chapter 10: Dreary Day

Whenever you see whole sentences in italics it means they're talking in Spanish. I'll let you know if it means otherwise.

Edit: Fixing the grammar errors galore. Kudos to those who read this without rage quitting.

oo

Same Saturday

Julian was in his studio. A building he and his crew were renting out in Midtown. He sat in the sound booth resting against the black foam covered walls on the stool the vocalist could use. Normally, he'd never be in here. But today he just liked the cool quiet stillness that only this room seemed to have.

He tumbled his phone over in his fingers. He'd received two calls from Charlie, one from Ricky, two from Edwin, and one from Diamond. But none from Mat. Worry had built up in his chest an hour ago after distracting himself from thinking of it all day.

His phone began buzzing. He casually glanced at it before immediately sliding it open.

"Mateo." He tried to sound more pissed than worried. "Where are you? You were supposed to be here two hours ago."

"I know." His voice sounded strained. "I lost my ride, though."

"What happened to your money for the bus?"

"I had to spend it."

"On what!"

"I-- I had to buy food."

"I gave you money for food. Look, if you don't want to sleep on the street tonight... where are you? I'll come get you." He was already gathering his things.

"You can't bring your big fancy car over here." He laughed over the phone, but it was bitter and curt.

"I don't give a fuck. Where are you?"

"Look I-- I can stay out here tonight."

"What?" Julian's face crumpled in.

"I made some new friends today and they said it's cool if I stay here."

"Why didn't you call me earlier?"

"... I don't know. I thought you'd be mad."

Julian sighed heavily. "Mateo... You know what? Do whatever the fuck you want."

He ended the call.

o

"You know you're going to call him," Charlie said over the line.

"He can do whatever the fuck he wants. I don't care," Julian tossed a stone into the pond. He'd decided to come to the park to clear his head, though there was a pretty high chance that he could get robbed. Right now he didn't care. He was pissed. Pissed and frustrated.

"Julian..." Her voice was so soft it pulled at something in his chest. Pulled at the lie.

"I can't do this anymore Charlie." He tossed in another stone and watched as it sank and produced rings of waves on the black surface. The city buildings reflecting clearly on the rippled surface. The sky was clear and the stars above the park were barely visible, drowned in the light from the city. The city's night skyline was beautiful. Buildings flashed their lights and spotlights roving over the skies. Some of them glowed different colors in the distance. "If he wants to live this life after what happened to David..."

"Don't say that. Everyone has their ways of dealing with pain. This is how he deals."

"How could you defend this shit, Charlie?" Julian laughed incredulously.