Chapter 3

Once we got out of the car, Jess stands in my way and she starts telling me, “I’m sorry okay? The reason why I don’t want to tell you it’s because of how emotional you get.”

“Please tell me Jess,” I pleaded.

She raises her eyebrow at Marco. 

"I'll tell her." He nods at her. 

"He asked how we were," he begins, "and he asked me how you were doing and I told him you're doing great and that you accepted to come to prom.  He didn't let me finish though, he got upset. He thinks you are coming to prom with another guy." 

"What?!" I was in shock. 

He probably thinks I'm actually seeing someone else. 

"I need to call him." I say taking out my phone from my purse. "I need him to know that I am not seeing anyone else."

"Don't do it Emi." Jess says as she takes away my phone."Let him think that. You don't need to give him any explanations." 

"But.."I started to say.

Jess puts away my phone in her purse, "Sorry."

Damn it!

"Fine. Then I won't go in." I told Jess. 

"Yes you will." She grabbed my hand and she gave the tickets to the guy at the door and we went inside the ballroom. The place was beautiful! 

"Emi!" I saw my friends Karen and Nadia coming towards us. 

"You're here!" said Karen with a huge smile on her face. 

"Come sit with us!" Nadia offered.

I turned to Jess. "Do you mind?" 

"You're free to sit wherever you'd like. Marco and I will be sitting with his basketball mates. Go ahead and have fun. We'll meet up later for pictures and dancing alright?"

We all agreed and I followed Nadia and Karen to their table. We sat down and a waiter brought us water and appetizers. 

"Your dress is beautiful!" Nadia told me. Karen nodded in agreement. 

"Thank you girls, so is yours. You girls look gorgeous!" 

"Emi?" I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw my friend Max standing there. "You actually came!"

"Max! Look at you all handsome wearing a tux. Who would've thought!" 

"Thank you Emi. You look so beautiful," he blushed.

"Thanks. Did you bring your girlfriend?"

"Naw, she didn't want to come." 

"Why?" I ask curiously.

"She said prom was a waste of time." he responds. 

"Well she's missing out," Karen implies. 

"So hey can Pete, Miguel and I sit with you girls,"he asked. 

"Sure!" we all said at the same time. 

"Okay! I'll be right back!" he cheered. 

"Oh my gosh! I didn't know Miguel was here." Karen said once Max was gone and she takes out her mirror. She had a crush on Miguel since forever. "And wow! Did you see how Max was eating you with his eyes, Emi?"

"What? No!" I protested.

"He sure was!" Nadia agreed. "He totally likes you."

"That's dumb! He has a girlfriend!" I argued. 

"Yeah but their relationship is going down the drain. Did you know she cheated on him and he forgave her and they're trying to work things out but she's just not that into it anymore?" 

"OH MY GOD! ARE YOU SERIOUS?" my eyes widened. I couldn't believe what Nadia was telling me. Max and his girlfriend Lauren looked like they were so into each other. She was always talking about him, kissing the floor he walked on. I couldn't believe she cheated on him.

"Yeah," Karen asserted. "He's a total babe though. Go for it!"

"Shh they're coming" I whispered. 

She was right, Max was really handsome. Tall, caramel color skin, curly hair, honey colored eyes. He was a babe. But he was nothing compared to Niall. 

Max sat down beside me. Our senior class president said a few words and then the music started. Once the music started it was kind of hard to try to have a decent conversation. So we all just ate and then Jess called us over to the photo booth. Miguel and Karen were walking so close to each other at this point. I could tell he was also interested in her. We all took pictures and then we made our way to the dance floor, while the guys went to sit down leaving us to ourselves. I danced with my girls for a while. I was having a great time.

Time passed and then we went to sit down because they were about to announce prom king and queen. We all knew that Albert, the football superstar and Stacey, the conceited cheerleader were going to win; we were right. They crowned them and they had a dance together. After that, I danced with my girls some more. The guys decided to join us and so we made our little group into a circle. Miguel was holding Karen's hand so I assumed they were together already. Her smile said it all. Pete kept getting close to Nadia but she was playing hard to get. Jess and Marco were being all lovey-dovey. I wondered if they rememberd that we existed. Max was being a goofball, doing some funny moves and making us all laugh. We were having a really good time. I was happy I ended up coming.

"Ladies and gentleman! Are you ready for the last dance?" Our senior class president announced. 

The crowd cheered. 

"Grab a partner and get to the dancefloor!"

My heart shattered. Niall was suppose to be here. We were suppose to dance the last dance together. Everyone grabbed their partner. Marco took Jessica's hand, Miguel took Karen, and Nadia finally accepted to go with Pete, leaving Max and I standing alone. 

"May I have this dance?" Max offered his hand to me. I looked over to the dance floor and my friends were nodding and grinning. 

"I-I don't feel right. You have a girlfriend." I admitted.

"Emi, I'm asking you as a friend."

I bit my lip, and nodded taking his hand. We went to the dance floor and Max rested his hand on my waist and I put my hand on his shoulder. He grabbed my left hand and spinned me around. The song started. It was a remix of slow songs. First we danced to Always and Forever, then to Yellow by Coldplay. Max was holding me tight. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I like you Emi," he whispered.

"As a friend right?" I looked at him.

"No Emi, I like you, like you. More than a friend." he smiled.

"But-" I started to say as the next song started. My heart stopped. Little Things started playing exactly at the part where Niall started singing. No no no my head was spinning. Tears filled my eyes. 

"Emi," Max started to say but then he stopped and he released me from his arms. I looked over his shoulder and he moved to the side. Everyone had stopped dancing and they were all looking my way. They pity me, I thought. Why the fuck are they staring at me? I looked to were my friends were at, they covered their mouths in shock. The tears started falling from my eyes. Everyone pitied me. I felt so vulnerable. Why did they keep on staring? Jess started walking towards me. But before she reached to me I turned around, ready to run. Then I bumped into something... someone's chest. That was the moment I knew that they weren't staring only at me but they were also staring at the person who was behind me. I knew that body figure perfectly, I knew those blue eyes by heart. 

Niall. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hope you all liked this chapter! :)

~E