Chapter 1

1: Krista Faust

I TALK TO A GUY WITH TELEPATHY         

          Help me. No, help us. Apparently, an evil guy named Grimlock is chasing us away to our deaths. We've been running away from him since the day I discovered my talents in magic with the help of Merlin. You think I'm kidding? No I'm not. I wouldn't go as much as freak the hell out of you while mentioning flying sharks, poisonous sundaisies and deadly, yet annoyingly cute puppies, just to pull a prank on you. If you think I'm making this up, it's up to you. You can stop reading this and forget I even exist. That's fine. But if you're willing enough to save your own kind, then, listen to what we have to say.

          To start off, I'll introduce myself first. Hi, Krista Faust here. I'm probably the same age as you are now and I live with my mum in a place where I can't tell you because as I mentioned earlier, Grim is chasing us and just by telling you our story is already suicidal for us, but we need help. All I thought that in my whole boring existence, I was passing up the level of a normal student. But no. I flunk at every subject in class, I'm not good with arts and no good at socializing people. The only thing that I have in my league is the water. It just refreshes my mind, and keeps my head on focus on what I need to do. That's why my mum complains everytime I go shower for 2-3 hours (can't help it). I realized that something else, deep inside me, is waiting to come out of its shell. I became a magician on my birthday.

          Even though it's my best day in my life, I have to go through my least favorite place in the universe- school. I just don't like the place- the teachers,the kids and the food they serve, but still mum insisted I should go. She said every kid must go to school and said that I should be happy. Well one thing I'm sure is that it would be rare to use algebra when you grow up. Anyway, as I got to school, I went to my locker and opened it. Instead of having presents and happy birthday cards, I got tons of red cards, not the valentine's cards, but threat cards. Oh, did I mention that I am really good at picking up fights? Right, I know you must be thinking but you're a girl! You should dress cute and flirt with boys! No way! I never wear anything that is above my knee. And I should say that for one thing, I am proud of that. 

          Closing my locker, I went to my homeroom and sat in my desk as usual and started plugging my headphones and placed them on my head. I was a bit of a loner but that was fine with me. After a few minutes, the bell rang and everyone arranged themselves. I hung my headphones on my neck and the teacher went in. Along our teacher, a new student came in and everybody started talking. Of course it was obvious why. The new student was gorgeous (I'm not complementing him, though) and he started introducing himself.

          "Hi. I'm Merlin Gray and I came from ****. Nice to meet you all," he said.

          Every girl went berserk as they heard his voice. He was tall, slim and his hair is dark blonde and his eyes were dark red. Maybe he was some kind of athlete back from his school, but more or less, I didn't much care. I just wanted for this day to end so that I could go eat with my mum. When he was finished, the teacher told him he could choose his seat and of all seats in this classroom he chose the one next to me. Great, I thought to myself. I've had enough enemies for one semester. He sat down next to me and class started.

          Like every time in the class, I never paid attention to the lessons and stared out at the open sea. Gosh, I sure was glad that our school had an open sea beside it and I was just at the corner of the room with the window on my side. Perfect spot for daydreaming. However, a tiny, yet familiar voice spoke to me, Turn around if you can hear me. As I did, I came face to face with Merlin, who seemed to be more surprised than I was. He just stared at me with a great deal of doubt and then, I heard it again, Nod your head if you really can hear me. The voice was his and it was just so intense and hypnotizing that I nodded my head, following what he had just said. His eyes went wide, revealing his red eyes, like crackling flames. For the last time he said, Meet me at the shore at the beach next to the school. If you really can hear me, then your life is in dangerThat's why you should meet me after school there. Then he turned aroud as if nothing happened, leaving me from a trance. Did I just had a telepathic conversation with him? And what was that about my life in danger. He must have been spitting out rubbish, but still he conversed with me through his mind and this doesn't happen to my life, everyday.

          After waiting "patiently" until school was done, I went to the exact meeting place and sure enough he was there already staring out from the blue sea. He turned around and started talking after I had asked some questions.

"Was it you? Who did  with the mind talking?" I asked him abruptly.

"Yes. It was. And now that I confirmed that you really heard me, then I then really must tell why you're the only one who can hear me." he answered quickly.

"Does it involve me dying?" I said jokingly, but I think this guy has no sense of humor beacuse he answered, "Yes. Not just you, but also your mother."

Hearing myself in danger was bad for me. But hearing mum was in grave danger, was worse. A chill went down to my spine and I had asked Merlin another question,

"What do you mean my mum is in danger?" I said as panic surged through my voice.

"The reason why I keep on transferring schools is becausing I am searching for you. I bet you don't even know your talent of Magic." 

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm just saying that maybe you haven't discovered your talents. For magic, I mean. Prof told me that there will be 6 ancient warlocks who will be able to defeat Grimlock, the Black Sorcerer. You are one of them. And so am I. Grimlock wants to take over the Academy, then the whole world if we don't stop him." he said.

           Though, he had panic in his voice, too. But I wasn't much into fantasies so I just looked at him with doubt, hoping that this whole talk about warlocks and magic is not true. But then again, he sounded so desperate and panicked that he din't seem to lie at all. But still I needed evidence if all of these were true. So I asked him,

"Do you have any proof that what you are saying is true? I do believe in you but only 65 percent of it. But still, do you?

"Didn't your mother told you that you are a magician?" he replied to me as if it was the most logical answer to my question. As a matter of fact, I had hundreds of questions in mind that I was about to ask him, just when the sun in the beach has set. I stood up, ending our conversation. Merlin only got a bit sad that I was leaving but then I realized,

"You do have a place to stay right?" Iasked him, but he looked away as if avoiding the question. "I kind of burned my last place yesterday..." 

I sighed heavily. "Come on, then. We still have room for one and my mum's cooking is the best. You could come to our place and stay for the night, or would you like to freeze here to death?" He seemed insulted but he gladly accepted the offer.

"You sure have your own way of talking to people..."

"Krista. Call me Krista Faust, Merlin."