Chapter 8

8: Krista Faust

ECHO

                After I prepared for the ceremony, I went to the main building and Professor Marcus ushered us newcomers in front of everyone else. I actually got nervous when coming up in front of those thousand eyes looking at you. There was a small step-up stage in front of the tables where everybody seated. I saw Merlin sitting on their red tables with his friends. He gave me a ‘thumbs up’ and mouthed me the words ‘good luck’. I calmed myself. No need to panic I told myself. I can do this. When my name was called at last, I stepped up the stage and saw no one. I thought Echo was supposed to choose for us? Where is she? Then I saw a table with a big mirror. Then my instincts told me to sit in front of that mirror.

                I saw myself in that mirror, but the exact opposite of myself. I was so glad the mirror wasn’t facing everyone or else I would’ve died from embarrassment. I didn’t really know what to do, so I just stared at my other self’s reflection. And just for a second, the reflection moved on its own and talked on its own (with the same voice as mine, of course)

                “Hello there!” she called out to me. “This might be the first you’ve seen your reflection talk, do you?” she told me with a grin. “I may be your reflection, but everyone calls me Echo.”

                “So you’re the one! Good. I want to know my Skills,” I said in a hurry.

                “Patience, Kris. You must know your kin first.” She replied.

                “Kin? But I thought they were Headquarters.” I wondered.

                “They are, when you are in Magick. But by the time you will graduate here, you will no longer call them your fellow initiates, but your fellow kin. You see, their own ‘Echoes’ determine their blood line and chooses the right kin to place them. So, are you ready?”

                “As I’ll ever be,” I said as I managed a nervous smile. She closed her eyes but I remained my eyes open as I was watching her. With great concentration, she meditated and chanted spells while she’s at it. Then for a few seconds, she opened her eyes back and looked at me.

                “You have a very strong will to fight anything for your loved ones. You are very loyal.” She said. “But not really bright,” she continued. Ouch! That part really hit me.

“But,” she said again, “You have great leadership skills, it just needs to be trained. Your fighting skills are a bit rough but it will improve once you’ve trained. KRISTA FAUST, I HEREBY CHOOSE MERILLE’S KIN! YOUR SKILLS WILL BE SWORD-WIELDING AND SHAPE-SHIFTER… AND DIVINATION”

Shocked students and loud gasps were the first things I heard when Echo finished talking, vanishing from the mirror and leaving my own, normal reflection. Headmaster Raven looked as stunned as everyone else, but kept his composure. He walked up the stage, the room went quiet. He went beside me and waved his hand in front of me. A bluish smoke appeared just above my forehead bearing the symbol of Merille. Then the smoke was gone. Headmaster Raven announced,

“Merille HQ, please welcome your new fellow initiate, Krista Faust.” He said, as applause followed and I went to their blue table. To be honest, the other initiates in Merille weren’t that bad after all. They greeted me with warm welcomes. Everyone’s so nice to me, except for Lira. As a matter of fact, it’s like everyone forgot about the commotion about my skills earlier—whatever that was. The important thing is everyone welcomed me. Then Headmaster Raven stood up from his seat. The other Professors were sitting beside him in a concave-shaped table along with Professor Marcus. Headmaster Raven announced,

“Evening, ladies and gentlemen. First of all, I would like to welcome our newest initiates for this year in Magick Academy. I wish you all luck and I hope you’ll all get along with your kin-mates this year and, by the next 3 months I will have an evaluation on your Skills, to see who will be the top 7 to represent in our Annual Magick Games. Remember, work hard and you can be one of those who will bring glory and honor to our school. And one more thing, I have invited our neighboring magic schools to join our Games. Tomorrow, real lessons will begin and by this autumn, our Games will begin. Have a spectacular evening and a bountiful feast.” He said and he sat down and trays, bowls and plates floated towards our table and landed softly on our table. The feast was amazing. I got my favorite hot lasagna topped with cheese and strawberry smoothies. I had cookies ‘n cream flavored ice cream for dessert. As I ate my dinner, the lasagna reminded me of dad, for it was his favorite food, too. Suddenly, I lost my appetite. I skipped the lasagna and drank my smoothie instead and went for the ice cream next.

“Hey, you need to eat,” a boy said to me. He was sitting in front of me eating pizza and having burgers (which looked a lot like fast food). I told him, “I just lost my appetite. Don’t mind me.”

“Don’t mind you? You haven’t eaten recently, right?” he said. I was shocked when he told me that because it was true. It was as if he read my mind.

“Yes. I can read minds,” he said to me. “The name’s Jake. Jake Abley.” He introduced.

“So, what’re your Skills?” I asked in curiosity.

He answered, “Oh, they’re not as good as yours but my Skills are Abstract Abilities and Sword-Wielding Skills.” He said. And before I knew it, he glared at something behind me. Turns out it was Merlin. He looked at him with fury and… jealousy. That’s when he noticed me staring at him.

“Are you jealous of Merlin?” I asked him.

“Since last year we had the same skill in mind-reading but he’s always better than me. He even won the Games last year and I didn’t. I hate that guy. But this year, I’ll beat him.” He said with anger.

“Wow. Sure. Just make sure you don’t end up killing him, okay?” I pleaded him.   

“Why do you care?” he asked me.

“He’s my best friend.” I told him, defiantly. There was a silence between us and I knew that he would stop talking to me because his rival is my best friend. But he just smiled at me. It was kind of creepy to me.

“I know you’re okay. I only hate the guy, not his friends.” He said. The feast ended and everyone slowly went to their headquarters. Jake and I also went to our rooms. He guided me to where the Merille Headquarter is and he said good night. I went to room 16 which the initiator told me and gave me the key. The room was better than the room for the newcomers. I had a light bath and dressed warmly for the night. Tomorrow, I have to work hard and train myself to save my dad’s life force, beat Grimlock and impress Headmaster Raven.