What The Hell?

Chapter 2

Mason rested his head on Chris's shoulder on the drive home from the hospital, feeling like he didn't have the strength to smile. He just came back from another check up and blood renewal.

He had a serious heart condition that developed when he was still growing threw the nine months. Throughout his life, he could never put too much energy on anything that he ever did.

If he did, he had to be hospitalized for days or even weeks. Every day, he would be active for hours and hours, weakening his heart.

Luckily, his family was well off, so they allowed him to continue living his normal life while going to monthly check ups at the hospital. He managed to maintain average health conditions. Once he was a teen, many people learned of his condition and many offered to give blood to him but unfortunately, he could only accept the blood of his type, thus canceling many of the offers that people willingly gave him.

However, as the weather changed the number of blood donations decreased, leaving Mason in a slightly weaker state. However, there was always enough blood to get him. No more. No less. Just enough.

"That's amazing Mason!"

There are so many loyal people in this city!" Chris exclaimed while chewing on some sour gummy bears. They take care of you so well. Even giving up their blood for you."

Mason smiled, remembering when he received news on how many people lined up to donate their blood for them. In return, he had special necklaces that said "Proud donor of Mason"

Though some stayed anonymous, making the doctors to send them to whoever didn't show up to receive them.

As Mason's health decreased, he kept a cheerful smile in front of his family and friends assuring that he was fine and that his happiness increased since childhood. He didn't want people to keep losing their
when all he did was gain it. He wasn't worth the hassle of losing blood.

Chris had seen the depressing look on his best friend's face and said "Hey, why don't we head over to One Way or Another!", knowing his crush on Elena.

Mason smiled at Chris grateful to have a best friend like him.

He was so happy about his check up this month since the doctor had said that they finally found a heart that matched his DNA. Mason could finally get rid of his old heart and have a normal functioning one.

He would finally be free. He wouldn't get tired so easily and would finally be able to live a normal life, all thanks to the new heart implant next week.

He was grateful to the one who donated the heart, someone who remained hidden from him. He made another necklace for the donor, carving a heart on it. It was to replace the heart they donated to him and to promise that he will take care of their heart. Even if the person donating had no choice since they was going to probably die anyway, he was still grateful of the deed that this person was willing to accomplish.

Mason was grateful. He asked one of the doctors to make the donor put it on before they passed away, since he wasn't allowed to do it himself. The person would remember the sincere gratitude from Mason even if they didn't have much time left.

And now, to top things off, he would be able to share the great news with his best friends. With Chris, mom and dad. With Elena.

The rest of his friends and relatives that he told to meet congratulated him with hugs and pats on the back.

"That's wonderful Mason!"

"Finally you'll be at your best!"

"You'll be more exciting than me from now on right?"