Chapter 9: The Motion

~Kay’s Pov~

“Pip Pip!  C’mn noWW!” the bus driver was making his way towards me, arm extended in front of him, fingers wiggling expectantly.  The vehicle was parked before a tall grey building, which was supposedly part of the London airport, and the final destination before I would have to leave.  I was the only passenger still aboard. 

 Is this Englishman going to help me with my bag, or is he going to strangle me? I panicked.  Unsure of the correct answer, I decided that I should probably stand up and at least pretend that I knew what I was doing.  I placed the luggage lightly before my feet, and stared at the floor completely bewildered.

Within a matter of two seconds he had reached me, his outstretched arm protruding way past the wall of my personal bubble. 

    “Ehem..” 

I shifted my gaze with a questioning look. 

Why was he in front of me if he wanted me to get by?  And MOVE YOUR HAND, DUDE.

“C’mn now! C’mn now!”  Like a ninja, he had made his way behind me and was push-push-pushing me to the front of the bus, my red luggage dragging against the grain as I shuffled my feet and, consequently, banging painfully against my shins.  Mouth agape, I turned my head from shoulder to shoulder in an effort to see the little man—who was muttering and grumbling something about “being knackered,” and some word or other about “bullocks”—behind me, but I found myself at a stop before I could even utter a word.

“Ticket?” he was making his way in front of me now, “y’have yur ticket?"

What? Nobody said anything about that, I thought as I watched Grumpy take hold of my luggage, open the sliding doors, and toss it outside without grace.  A few people with their luggages in hand were now lining up outside, impatiently glaring within the bus in an effort to see what was taking so long.

I shook my head “no” to his ticket question, still extremely confused. 

“O’ course yi don’t,” he was now ushering me down the stairs, “jus’ pay mi cash, then.”

Frantically, I dug through my pockets, forgetting that I actually didn’t have any money.  A sinking feeling grew in my stomach at the moment in which I realized I was completely broke.  What would I do after I got off this bus without any money?

At this point, there was an entire crowd of people pacing, yelling and pointing at me from outside of the bus, and it appeared as though they would soon take to throwing stones or tomatoes at my face to get their points across.

I shook my head crazily yet again, utterly terrified.  The bus driver rolled his eyes, still muttering and groaning.

    Before I could process the events occurring around me, he had opened the doors, and the stampede of elephants was brusquely making their way in. 

“Oh!” I gasped, as I felt the wind being knocked out of me.  Suddenly, I was no longer touching the floor.

       I found myself tossed over shoulders and flung between legs and wacked with briefcases and canes and harsh moaning and grunting until I had enough, and was resolving to fight back, only to land swiftly on my feet, my ginger hair blowing wildly behind me in a last effort to fight the incessant, dark wind of humanity, and then slowly falling in defeat upon my shoulders.

“Necks tyme,” faintly, I heard the driver yell as the last of the elephants had made its way in, “co-ome preparred!”

      SLAM.

MY chest rose and fell at an unhealthy pace as I watched the bus screech manically, and then speed past me, away and off into the distance.

Man, I thought, mentally gasping, the cruelty of some people is just unreal.

Choosing to just let it go rather than to brood on it, I sulkily made my way towards the tall grey building that awaited me.

       It was the next step in the motion—the next procedure in the operation.

The grand glass doors engulfed me, and I disappeared from sight.