Five - Final Goodbyes

**Author's Note**

I do not own all of the characters in this story or the basic storyline, which belongs to the 2008 BBC TV series, 'Merlin'. This is purely a fan-fiction written for my own enjoyment and those who choose to read this. Please feel free to leave any comments and suggestions down below.

Five – Final Goodbyes

ARTHUR LEFT ALMOST immediately after our heated discussion, allowing me to prepare myself for the events of the evening. While I would usually call on my handmaiden to prepare me for such formal events, I had decided earlier in the day that given the sombre tribute I was going to be leading, I wanted to prepare myself alone. Things were not quite back to normal in Warrendor and it was going to take some time for the castle to return to its usual business.

The lighting of the funeral pyre was to be my first formal appearance as Queen. I was well aware that whilst I had not officially been coronated as Warrendor's new Queen, my preparedness to take on the role so eagerly after such a traumatic attack and the support of my people allowed me to step somewhat easily into my father's shoes. My coronation and all the official business that followed would have to wait. Regardless of my current position, I still felt like a true Queen.

Deciding that it was time to begin my transformation from warrior to Queen, I crossed the room to my large mahogany wardrobe that was still filled with fine gowns thanks to Madeline's quick work. Throughout years of formal appearances and generous gifts from those around me, I had managed to collect a wide range of gowns that were suitable for almost any occasion. While I often opted for light or traditional colours, I knew that tonight would an entirely different affair. I was representing both the dead and the living and I needed to look the part. My cheeks felt warm as I spotted a black gown at the back of the mahogany wardrobe.

"Fitting," I whispered, running the smooth silk of the gown through my fingers.

I pulled the dress from the depths of the wardrobe and held it out to inspect it properly. I was not sure that I had ever worn it in the past, as whenever I chose to wear a dark colour, it was usually deep greens, blues or purples. I rarely wore black at all. The gown itself was quite plain, being all black with only a small silver sash around the middle of the dress. The sleeves and bottom of the dress were long and flowy, while the bodice looked as though it would cling more tightly to my body. It was perfect.

Never being one to remove my armour carefully or particularly slowly, I raised my hands to my body and quickly spelled it from my skin, watching as it fell to the floor in an unceremonious clatter around me. I stepped out from the discarded pieces of armour and pulled the chain mail from my body, being left in only my cotton undergarments which were quickly traded for a silk slip. It seemed strange to transition from armour to a gown, but it was very much a part of my character and my role as Queen.

With the gown on and fitted properly, I pulled free the loose bit of twine that had been holding my hair in a braid all day and let it hang loose in long, blonde curls around my body. The woman that stared back at me was almost startling. The black dress, amongst the curls and my father's vivid blue eyes reflected my identity perfectly. The young Queen was gone. I looked like a sorceress.

There was a sharp tap on my chamber doors, breaking the haunting silence that had hung in the air as I stared at my own unrecognisable reflection. I quickly cast my armour, chainmail and sword messily back into the chest at the foot of my bed and turned my attention to the door.

"Come in," I answered.

The door swung open and Leith appeared in the doorway. He too had changed out of his armour and donned his formal knight's attire. He appeared to finally have a healthy glow back to his skin, causing me to break into a smile. I was so glad to see that I had not caused him any permanent damaged with my failed healing spell. I made a mental note to brush up on healing spells with Madeline before I departed my kingdom.