Chapter 5

Viktor led Hermione back to the telephone booth in the relishing sunrise the next morning. He took her out through the dirt street to the magical train station. Hermione still had the time that they spent at the library on her mind, last year, when Hermione was trying to avoid those silly giggling Hogwarts girls that followed Viktor at a safe distance behind him everywhere he went. She was very annoyed, she was trying to study.

               “He’s not even that handsome!” She whispered angrily to Harry, eyeing his sharp, Slavic profile. “Those dumb bimbos wouldn’t even look at him twice if he couldn’t do a Wronski Feint!” This was, however, the annoying, uncalled for disturbance of her reading talking. She did, like the swarm of girls, get a little jumpy and flustered on the inside when she watched him swim the other day.

               She awoke from that flashback. Something incredibly wrong was going on. She was clearly under some kind of incomplete, love-catalyzing spell. Was Viktor doing it? She thought anxiously. Or was it some crazy, shipping fairy? Or could it be a Dark Wizard trying to get me away from Viktor somehow, plotting to kill me because I’m Muggle-born?

               Nevertheless, what is there to true, untainted love that hinders one’s judgment and thought process as this did to her at these selective moments? She briefly embraced this potential possibility: Am I bewitched?

              She turned back to Viktor and flew into his arms as sentimentally and willingly as ever before. “Bye!” she said to him. She glanced down slyly before they kissed once more. She got on the train and saw him drifting away, out the window as it left from the station. She settled back down, alone for the first time in a week, in her cell.

               I have got to look into this, whatever the hell this is, she thought, as a portly, stout woman in train uniform came by. Hermione purchased a newspaper, with moving photographs and ancient font. Hermione was caught in a haze of horror as the headlines blared before her widening brown eyes.

               Viktor Krum and Hermione Granger’s Romance Becomes Unlawful

               By P. Parkinson

               Viktor Krum, an 18 year old Seeker on the Bulgarian National Quidditch Team, has been flinging with Hogwarts honor student Hermione Granger since they met last fall, the year of the Triwizard Tournament. The two were seen together at the Yule Ball and frequently alone outside the building at that time. Granger was Krum’s hostage in the Tournament’s Second Task, where the champion had to retrieve the unconscious body of his/her most valued and treasured person at the school from the bottom of the Hogwarts lake in an hour. Shortly after Krum rescued Granger after incompletely transfiguring into a shark, he invited her to visit him the following summer in Bulgaria. She agreed to this offer, as they were seen together at Krum’s Quidditch practiced, along the streets of Wizarding Sofia and other places in his hometown.

           To embellish in their relationship, Krum and Granger had taken to rule-breaking. They were spotted kissing on the top of the highest tower at Durmstrang one recent night. Krum has speculatively flown Granger on his team-issued Firebolt, violating the conditions of broom-flying in the book of the International Quidditch League. The second offense in this scene was a violation directly in the face of the secretivity of the location of the Durmstrang School of Magic.

           Viktor Krum may be up for prosecution and trial by the International Quidditch League, the English Ministry of Magic, and Durmstrang School. ***

               Around this article were two shockingly candid photographs of she and Viktor. The first one showed them walking down the dirt street to the apparating telephone booth, on the first day she arrived there. The second photograph, sure enough, was of them kissing at the top of the tower. They were 2 murky, shadowy and distant figures, but she could see her own hair billowing to the side in the wonderstruck wind and Viktor’s Firebolt resting horizontally in the turret spokes.