A Serious Faith

by Inspiration Ministries

"I pray that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ." Philippians 1:9-10 NASB 

Some drift away from God, pursuing worldly pleasures or personal interests (Ecclesiastes 2:10). But others simply find it difficult to believe the Bible, embracing explanations and answers that satisfy their own thoughts.

One of those with a thinking conclusion was Walter Kaufmann, who was born in Freiberg, Germany, on this day in 1921. In his youth, he struggled with his faith and eventually decided that he did not believe in God. He questioned the reality of many Biblical principles, particularly attacking the concept of eternal life. He became a prominent educator and writer, influencing the faith of many students through his books and lectures.

Many people in the world today have this attitude. Boldly rejecting Christianity. Ridiculing the Bible and all who follow Jesus.

Many Christians are not prepared to respond to this criticism. The Bible says that we always should be "ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15). That what we do and say should demonstrate the reality of our faith. That others should see Jesus through our lives.

Today, ask God to search your heart and mind. Are you sure what you believe? Are you basing your faith on traditions or what others have told you? Or do you have a
personal relationship with God? Is Jesus real to you, or is He just a person you have read about?

Make sure that you do not have a secondhand faith. Spend quality time with God. Fill your life with His Word. And seek to have a genuine testimony that others might see Jesus in you.