1 Year Later

Alex and I have been going strong since he asked me out. I was in the process of laying on the floor, bored, when my phone beeped. I quickly pulled it out of my pocket and opened the text.

'Hey, baby. Meet me @ our place? -XO Prince Charming'

I grinned and sent back, 'Give me 10 and I'll be there -OX Cinderella'

It had kinda become "our thing" to sign off with different royalty. At one point, I was Princess Kate and he was Prince William. I jumped up and slid on a pair of sandals and one of Alex's hoodies that I had stolen a long time ago, along with the white shorts I already had on.

"You have to tell him," Delilah said as I was about to walk out.

"I know. That's the plan for today." I replied, biting my lip.

~~~~~~

I stopped my car at the park and headed to a secluded area of trees past the playground. I noticed Alex up ahead, leaned against a shaded tree. I walked up to him and waited. He rolled his eyes before leaning down and attaching our lips. I grinned as we pulled apart.

"Shall we sit m'lady?" He asked, holding his out and bowing.

"We shall," I answered, grabbing his hand and sitting on the grass. He followed my lead and sat behind me so he was against the tree again. I leaned on his chest, sitting between his legs. We sat that way for a while until I remembered what Delilah had said. I sighed and sat up, turning to face him. He had a confused look on his face.

I gave him a gentle smile. "Alex, there's....there's something I need to tell you." I started. He sat up and grabbed my hands, gently rubbing his thumbs along my knuckles.

"You can tell me anything." He said, his eyes locked on mine.

"I...I signed up to go overseas and work. I'll be gone for a year." I told him. He dropped my hands.

"W-What?" He muttered.

"I'm sorry! I know I should've talked to you about it but I just...I just felt like I needed to do this. I..just.." I stuttered. He cut me off by crashing his lips on mine. I immediately kissed back, my arms moving to circle his neck. As we pulled apart, I looked up at him.

He gave me a small smile saying, "Close your eyes." I did as he said, until I felt him slide something cold onto my right ring finger. My eyes flew open and I looked up at him.

"Alex..." I trailed, hoping it wasn't what I thought it was. I mean, maybe someday we'll get married, but we've been together for a year. We're both surgeons; we don't have time for a family.

He chuckled. "Don't worry. It's just a promise ring." He told me, kissing my forehead. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and help my hand up to inspect it. The ring wasn't anything big and glitzy (which I liked). It was a simple silver band with a turquoise gem in the center.

"Alex, it's beautiful." I murmured.

"Look on the inside." He said. I gave him a confused look. He just smiled and nodded his head. I gently pulled it off and looked at it. It said, "My Princess -XO " in small yet fancy writing. I smiled and looked up. I flung my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek.

"I love you." He whispered, tightening his arms around my waist.

"I love you too," I whispered back.