One

Hi, I'm Vanessa Ripley, I'm from Toronto, Ontario in Canada. I'm 18 years old and I just graduated high school from Louise Arbour S.S. My best friend is Maria Thornton.

"Vanessa!" I heard a muffled yell calling my name. I took out my headphones and turned around to see my best friend, Maria, running up behind me.

"Oh hey, loser." I tell her when she catches up to me. We always walk home together, ever since we were old enough to walk around the neighborhood on our own. You have to be at least 14.

"Are you coming over today?" she asked me and I proceed to nod my head.

"Good, I have something to talk to you about." she seems to be relieved.

"So do I." I've been experiencing some really weird stuff, like seeing stuff from the past. Stuff that other people can't see, it's really creeping me out. I've even been feeling other people's pain. Yesterday, Max broke his right leg and my right leg started hurting. Mary was throwing up in the girls bathroom and then I had to throw up. But for that one I think I was just sensitive to the smell and sound of it.

"Cool, what time are you coming over?" Maria asks and I shrug.

"I'll ask my mom when I get home." I tell her and she nods, telling me she understands.

'Oh I wonder what she's gonna tell me' Maria thought.

Wait, did I just hear what she was thinking? What the hell is happening to me?

"That's happening to you too?" Maria says, I can tell that she didn't mean to.

"What?" I ask her.

"I can hear what you're thinking, and you can hear what I'm thinking." she says and my eyes grow wide.

"Okay now I really need to come over." I say and she nods. "I'll try to convince my mom to let me come over early, okay?" I tell her and she nods.

Later That Day

"Hey Maria open up it's Vanessa." I say from outside of her bedroom door. She opens the door and she closes it after I walk in. I plop on her bed.

"Alright where do we start?" Maria got up to go and get her laptop to start researching.

"I don't think that's gonna help us at all." I say, shaking my head.

"Why wouldn't it?" she asks.

"Because, what are we suppose search?" I ask her.

"I don't know, anything that could help us figure out what's happening to us." she says.

"When did you discover your powers?" Maria asked me, trying to find some information

"I don't know man like last week." I say trying to think back to the day I i threw up with Mary.

"Really I started to feel mine last week too? What day though?"

"Like, Wednesday I think. You?" I ask.

"Same!" she stands from her bed and starts pacing.

"Maria, calm down, maybe we can search something on your laptop about the day. Sit down and we will read it together." I hold her shoulders, looking into her big brown eyes.

We sit back on her bed and open her laptop, she types in the date of last Wednesday. Many things come up, but only one catches our eye. And I know she sees it too because I heard her think it.

The link says 'Two Covens Burn Down On The Same Night, Wednesday February 17th, 1912.' Out of curiosity we click the link, a picture of a two white houses comes up, along with an article. As we stare at the picture longer, we realized that was our neighborhood.

"What does the article say?" I ask and she begins reading.

"On the night of February 17, 1912 a house of witches, also know as a coven, was burned to the ground. Over 50 witches were killed, they were obviously rebuilt with a less flammable material. Nobody knows how the fire started, but they do know that it wasn't an accident." She looks at me.

"Do you think those covens were our houses?" I ask.

"I don't know, let's keep reading." she says and I nod. "Legend says that the witches spirits still wander around the houses, looking for girls that are good enough for their powers, the witches allegedly got their powers the same way. Only a few things were saved from the fires. In the first house, a golden watch that had a secret compartment that held a note, nobody knows what it says on the note." Attached on the side, is a picture of the watch.

"I have that watch." I tell her and she looks at me.

"Do you think those houses were ours?" I ask.

"I don't know." she shrugs.   

midnightreapers xx